Is the 52 reissue tele a less guitar?

Symmetry2170

• Members

I want to buy a telecaster and the 52 reissue is always the one I gravitate towards anytime I see one. I like the way it feels, I love its vintage look and vintage hardware. However, I hear a lot about how it's a "lesser guitar" compared to current american standards or even mexi-tele's or highway ones.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Especially those of you who own one. Is built cheaper? Is the hardware all crap because it's made to the 1952 specs?

• Members

I want to buy a telecaster and the 52 reissue is always the one I gravitate towards anytime I see one. I like the way it feels, I love its vintage look and vintage hardware. However, I hear a lot about how it's a "lesser guitar" compared to current american standards or even mexi-tele's or highway ones.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Especially those of you who own one. Is built cheaper? Is the hardware all crap because it's made to the 1952 specs?

The 52's are solid axes all the way around. Very gigable in their stock form. Need nothing really.

Personal preference aspects....I am not really a huge fan these days of small vintage frets with the vintage radius fretboard.

• Members

....I am not really a huge fan these days of small vintage frets with the vintage radius fretboard.

Word. With a new neck, the 52 tele is one of my dream axes (given that, I'd love to get the 52 hot rod if I could ever save up enough...) However, if you are comfortable with the vintage neck/frets -- no reason not to get one. They ARE pretty expensive new, but I see them used for around $800-$1k pretty frequently on CL.

• Members

I had one. I tried to like it I saved forever to get one as I thought it was like the holy grail of guitars. My hand would cramp up with the v-neck. Other than that it was a great guitar. I did the updated wiring change to get an out-of-phase position. Great guitar the neck just wasn't for me

• Members

Thanks for the reply guys. I'd like to play a couple more because I never really gave thought to the small fret size and how it would feel long term with my playing.

Some people really do love the vintage neck -- big, fat, round, tiny frets. I had one on a tele and finally decided it wasn't for me, but I think you owe it to yourself to give it a fair chance. It's different, but that's not necessarily bad.

• Members

Sure, I agree with you on the price.

Also considering a Les Paul with P90's.

for the same $1350 they were charging at the time, i bought a blueburst Ric 330. about a year later, i got a stupid deal on an MIM 50s Classic Tele. i do think that if you can find one of those used, they're well worth the price. especially with a pickup change.

• Members

...i got a stupid deal on an MIM 50s Classic Tele. i do think that if you can find one of those used, they're well worth the price. especially with a pickup change.

Yeah, but you can't get a 50s classic in butterscotch blonde, and that's half the appeal!

• Members
id pay double what they sell for. The only better guitar Fender makes is the Nocaster. They don't have V necks either, but a nice fat U/C.

This. I got a deal on mine, and it's worth every penny, but I'd have paid what they're asking without blinking, even more. Hands down the best guitar I've ever played. I've got to say, I think anyone who says this is a "lesser guitar" than other Teles is out of their fawkin' mind. :facepalm:

That said, you've got to play one first. The neck is the make or break--for me, I had to have it after I played it with that neck. No other neck feels like that, and I mean that in the best way, because that was the kind of feel I'd always felt was missing from all the other Teles I've tried to fall in love with.

I just can't stress enough how amazing I think these '52 reissue Teles are. :love:

• Members

Well if you want to save cash and don't mind a Mex guitar, then i cannot reccomend the Baja tele enough. Mine is deffinitley one of my favorite guitars. It's very close to the '52 RI's I've played. Custom Shop pickups, 4 way switch with "S1".

One thing it does need is some extra cavity shielding...that's on my list to do! but other than that, it's a top, top guitar!

• Members

Well if you want to save cash and don't mind a Mex guitar, then i cannot reccomend the Baja tele enough. Mine is deffinitley one of my favorite guitars. It's very close to the '52 RI's I've played. Custom Shop pickups, 4 way switch with "S1".

One thing it does need is some extra cavity shielding...that's on my list to do! but other than that, it's a top, top guitar!

Def' many other models to consider if on a budget/ don't want to spend the coin on a higher priced model. One of the great things about Tele's is that it is very easy to get cool Tele tones on the cheap.

• Members

I don't know about the current ones, but mine, from the '80's, is certainly not built cheaper. Quite the contrary.

Some may not like the clubby neck and small frets, but the latter aren't so tiny as to cause me any problems. For those who don't like the original tone circuit, a modern wiring kit is provided. I left mine stock, and if I want both pickups I just put the selector between 2 and 3.

64187960_82afefb188_o.jpg

Archived