Return of the King! (of the cheapies)

CraigOrn

• Members

So even though I've been splurging on gear of late, I was tempted to go out and fiddle in the local guitar shop. Mostly looking for really obscure stuff. They had an early Ibanez, but at $255 I wasn't too interested. They had a Univox 355 copy as well, but it blew. I also played around with a Harmony solidbody, but it was so light I couldn't really get into it.

So I round the corner, and I'm looking at this sunburst axe with a blue headstock with "Kansas" on it. I was looking at the pickup configuration, single coil and a humbucker, and something seemed familiar.....

So I picked her up and lo-behold, she was! A Squier '51 in the wild!

Clerk said they picked it up at a show. Couldn't tell that the electronics had been modded any, but the headstock was either altered or she had a new neck.

I'd still like to get one, but on eBay they seem to average about $180-200, and I just couldn't get into this particular one.....it was set-up HORRIBLY.

What about you guys? You all come across many in their natural habitat? Just curious to see how many of those that everyone here scooped up and modded the heck out of have found their way back to the market.

• Members

OK... I'll bite.

I found this one on Ebay and paid through the nose for it, because it has a really nice birdseye fingerboard. It took me a long time to get it to play like I want it to and its still only maybe 80% great but I like it anyway and as I keep fiddleing with it, it slowly gets better.

Copy2ofCopyofaug28012.jpg

In the photo below, the black S-51 was PERFECT but I sold it on a whim and have felt bad about it ever since. I mean it was perfect... Sigh...

The Sunburst one I found in the hands of some guy walking across his yard. Turns out he had just gotten it as a trade for some maintenance work but he didnt play guitar. Bought it on the spot for $100 cash with the stickers and plastic still on it. It's stashed in a hidden guitar case, where no one'll find it. That one needs a set up but its mint/mint and it's the only Sunburst guitar I own. Maybe thats why I'm holding on to it. Who knows?

NEWGUITARDAY006_001.jpg

I have one more S-51 that I bought in a small music shop in Ukiah Ca for $100. It was kinda beat and had a fluky push/pull pot, so I took it apart and it's awaiting the new bridge that I ordered and a fresh paint job. It'd probably be done by now but I can't deside on what color to paint it.

There are still S-51's floating around out there so keep you eyes open!

• Members
OK... I'll bite.

I found this one on Ebay and paid through the nose for it, because it has a really nice birdseye fingerboard. It took me a long time to get it to play like I want it to and its still only maybe 80% great but I like it anyway and as I keep fiddleing with it, it slowly gets better.

Copy2ofCopyofaug28012.jpg

In the photo below, the black S-51 was PERFECT but I sold it on a whim and have felt bad about it ever since. I mean it was
perfect
... Sigh...

The Sunburst one I found in the hands of some guy walking across his yard. Turns out he had just gotten it as a trade for some maintenance work but he didnt play guitar. Bought it on the spot for $100 cash with the stickers and plastic still on it. It's stashed in a hidden guitar case, where no one'll find it. That one needs a set up but its mint/mint and it's the only Sunburst guitar I own. Maybe thats why I'm holding on to it. Who knows?

NEWGUITARDAY006_001.jpg

I have one more S-51 that I bought in a small music shop in Ukiah Ca for $100. It was kinda beat and had a fluky push/pull pot, so I took it apart and it's awaiting the new bridge that I ordered and a fresh paint job. It'd probably be done by now but I can't deside on what color to paint it.

There are still S-51's floating around out there so keep you eyes open!

I had this '51 when I first joined the forum in 2004

8cc15fb0.jpg

I sold it a couple of years ago but when I saw that Cassie in the Vivian Girls had one like it

vivian_girls-evr4.jpg
060a3159360caf6f2319527e2a6d0090.jpg

I decided to get another one so I got this one one ebay.I just got a new bone nut on it because someone had changed the original to a graphite nut.It is my favorite "cheap guitar" ever!

7be4c221-1.jpg

ecb39620-1.jpg

Archived