NBCD: new build complete day... Les Paul Junior

Bowen

• Members

WHOAAAAA.......yer REALLY gonna sell that for $450???:facepalm:

is that like Pounds Sterling....or Deusch Marks....???

you should be getting over a grand for that....if Gibson built that with those woods.....it'd be 3000.00 plus.....

do you do "commissions"???

• Members

$450 seems awefully high. i think .. (checks money in pocket).. uh.. $127 would be a better price. yup, i think that would sell.. to me.

hehe, i agree with everyone that $450 is too low. $1000 to me would still be low, but i know its hard to sell a pre built custom guitar for its true value. i would at least raise it a bit and let people bargain it down if you must. you dont want to be bargained down from $450. that would be depressing.

the guitar reminds me of my sg junior build, except mine has a purpleheart headstock and board. its not quite done yet (had to fix a screwup as usual).

• Members

When I do a build for giggles I am really doing for the fun of building, then when the guitar is done I'm kind of done being around that guitar. It is sort of like writing a song I guess, I never want to hear it again when the song is complete.

That said, I price the instruments that I build for fun pretty cheaply because all I'm really after is a start on the next one and I don't want the hassle of trying to squeeze every last penny out of it.

When I build for a customer though I go twice as slowly and charge twice as much. I am a perfectionist when it comes to doing a build and every little flaw, or even a detail that is good but could have been great, really gnaw at me.
(my last job was a QA inspector on semiconductor processing equipment)

Enough rambling, to recap: I cannot sell a guitar for real money if it is not the very best that I can do.

• Members

Bowen, your craftsmanship and creativity (pickguard, headstock) are stunning.

Kids, take note. This is a person who takes pride in what they do. I really think this is something that has been lost on the last few generations.

Ps this is coming from a Gen X'r, king of slackers.

Archived