OT - Should astronauts really land on Mars?

• Members

Mars is a {censored}hole. Complete waste of time. Time travel, light speed travel, inter-dimensional travel, and the like would be far more useful than a trip to Mars. The most Mars has to offer is another mineral extraction slavestate and we already have one of those. ;)

• Members

Mars is a {censored}hole. Complete waste of time. Time travel, light speed travel, inter-dimensional travel, and the like would be far more useful than a trip to Mars.

Crawl, then walk, then run. We've done pretty well in the last 150 years, right? We didn't need to skip ahead to screwing with the space-time continuum to make some progress. Getting people off one planet and onto another seems like a good baby step.

• Members

There's no point in sending people to other planets when robots can do the job better and safer.

Until we develop a much faster way of travelling through space, we're stuck in our puny little solar system.

• Members

Developing the tech that would be needed to get to Mars is something that should be done now. The benefits and discoveries will be useful in many areas here on Earth. Just think of what the tech impact has been from the moon program, the computer you're viewing this on being a small example.

I was more thinking that we could wait a little while until our government had a little more money - unless, of course, such a venture, including laying the groundwork, would produce jobs or otherwise monetarily benefit us somehow. I'm a huge proponent of space exploration in general, and we have gotten a lot of great technology and insight from it, don't get me wrong. I just can't help but wonder whether waiting a year or two might be better. I don't have the answers to this, btw. I'm wondering.

• Members

Actually, I just go to their church because it's the closest one to my house.

They have a nice service and free donuts, too.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Martin Lutherans?

That's what I was raised in... a real big one... stained glass, high ceilings, stone walls, stone and wooden pillars

• Members

IMO the very first step is NOT the space station; Mir and Skylab showed us that would be a failure.

The first step is back to the moon. Set up residence there; learn how to garden in low gravity before trying it in no gravity. Set up an interferometer the size of the Moon itself. You think we're getting good images from Hubble? Wait til you see what we can get from a virtual objective 1500 miles in diameter. From that, we would indeed be able to see planets orbiting other stars. That would be necessary if we were ever to consider leaving this solar system.

But also, there's no way to construct an interplanetary craft here on Earth. The amount of stuff needed for a trip to Mars and back would require an enormous ship, and the fuel required to generate sufficient thrust to get such a ship out of Earth orbit would make the thing too heavy to get off the ground.

Nope, no trip to Mars will be happening in our lifetimes. It would have required colonization of the Moon in order to collect resources and manufacture there. As with the move away from fossil fuels, we've wasted 30+ years.

• Members

During the Moon Landing Anniversary Week, it was speculated that what drove the US to send astronauts to the Moon was competition from a rival superpower.

According to this article, China wants to go to Mars. Like, srsly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/5960684/China-bans-bad-breath-in-space.html

China has an ambitious programme to assemble a space station and launch a mission first to the moon and then to Mars.

If nothing else gets America off its butt and on to Mars, it'll be China.

• Members

Uh...check my avatar...I have been orbiting the Red Planet for several years now. I would enjoy the company.

It is our destiny to go to Mars...and beyond.

In a Nostradamus book I read several years ago, the author interpreted several of the quatrains as pertaining to Mars. There is an section that says we will, indeed, go to Mars. The first mission will be a multi-nation secret effort that will be disasterous. A follow-up mission, I believe it was an attempt to save remnants of the first, was successful.

The book, of which I don't remember the title or author, was written in the late 90s and dealt with this century. It was spot-on about the trouble in the mideast that has occured to date, and predicts great conflict up until the middle of this century, after millions have died.

While primarily dealing with these 100 years. the author did make a comment about a couple of other future events predicted by the doctor that would occur a couple of centuries from now. One was that because of something we created, many would be fleeing earth. But he did not develop the idea much further than that.

As interesting as a "WayBack" machine would be (some of you may remember the cartoon series I am referring to), I would like to book a seat on a "WayForward" machine.

"Live Long and Prosper," fellow Earthlings.

Though we may actually be transplanted Martians. As the planet died, we moved on to the great blue orb we now call home. Whether we got here on our own, well, I'll never tell.

But in any event, as Dag Hammarskjold once said:

"The longest journey is the journey inwards. Of him who has chosen his destiny, Who has started upon his quest for the source of his being."

• Members

Though we may actually be transplanted Martians. As the planet died, we moved on to the great blue orb we now call home."

Wait a minute... we had the technology to move from Mars to Earth, but when we got here, our technology was at the stone age level?

Yeah, I know, I left out the part about not getting here on our own.

• Members

But in any event, as Dag Hammarskjold once said:

"The longest journey is the journey inwards. Of him who has chosen his destiny, Who has started upon his quest for the source of his being."

The Oceans my friend.. We start with the oceans.

Archived