Vibro Champ XD similiar combo amp suggestions please!

FUBTAG

• Members

I am just starting a new gig.. as a lead singer with an established band. I am also going to play guitar with them, but not sure I want to lug my Hot Rod Deluxe to all the gigs...

Does anyone have experience with the Fender Vibro Champ XD? If not what is you combo amp of choice? Looking to keep it small, but as versatile sounding as possible...

Thanks!

• Members

I'd recommend the Super Champ XD over the Vibro Champ XD. I have one and I've gigged with it many times. The Super has 15 watts while the Vibro, I believe, only has 5 watts. The Super also has two channels compared to one on the Vibro. The price difference between the two is very small, and in my opinion, worth going for the Super Champ, especially if you are using it in a band.

• Members

I have a Super Champ XD, and I am happy with it. You might be able to find a used one in that range if you are willing to be troubled with finding one.

If I only had $200 to spend though, I'd consider getting Vox Valvetronix or at least trying one out or watching some YouTube demo vids or something. I haven't ever used one, but I have heard good things about them. I've also heard good things about the Blackheart Little Giant.

• Members

I just got a SCXD yesterday and I am having issues with rattles at mid-high volumes on bass notes. The rattle is really quite bad, looking into it online it seems like a lot of people have similar issues (to be fair most >500 tube combos have their share). If you are checking out these amps I recommend trying it out at high volume and playing up your low-e string to see if you can stand the buzz (if there is any).

The tone is great though, I'm a big fan. Shame about the rattles (it comes out even worse at the studio in a room with good acoustics), because at this point it's probably going back to GC.

• Members

I have a SuperChamp XD and love it. Depending on what kind of music you are playing, how aggressive the drummer is, and if you are going to mic it (I'm assuming you are), it would work fine. When I'm playing a straight-up blues gig I'll use it and mic it. Sometimes I'll run a 2x12 under it.

I usually use the footswitch to go between the dirt and cleans and run a Deja Vibe and wah in front of it.

The buzzing and whatnot usually come when playing at higher volume and depending on what setting you are on on the second channel.

• Members

The buzzing and whatnot usually come when playing at higher volume and depending on what setting you are on on the second channel.

How high of volume are you talking about? I get buzzing at about 5vol on specific bass notes (this is on channel 1 with bass at 5 treb at 7). I've also noticed that some channel 2 voices are very prone to buzzing as well. It's not such a big deal but the entire reason I got this thing is because my Palamino V8 is a buzzbox.

• Members

How high of volume are you talking about? I get buzzing at about 5vol on specific bass notes (this is on channel 1 with bass at 5 treb at 7). I've also noticed that some channel 2 voices are very prone to buzzing as well. It's not such a big deal but the entire reason I got this thing is because my Palamino V8 is a buzzbox.

Five and above is usually where it will start happening. From the ones I've seen it is a ten inch speaker not able to take the higher volumes (usually the stock speaker), tubes not properly seated, or part(s) of the cab not in spec.

I have noticed with mine that when I am playing a guitar with humbuckers that I really have to cut the bass as volume increases. This is normal on most tube amps (maybe solid state, too?) but it seems exaggerated on the SCXD.

What guitar(s) are you using, and are you still running the stock speaker? I mentioned above that I sometimes run a 2x12 under it (using the SCXD like a head). What you describe is why.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I tried the vibro and the super champ xd few weeks back for the hell of it,there were a few decent cool tones in there but overall couldnt find any love to buy one,then spotted a Traynor ycv 20 played it,smiled,hander over 300 and the end of story!:thu:

• Members

Kinda depends why you don't want to gig w/ the HR. Looking for something lighter? Want an inexpensive combo so you don't risk damaging the HR? Or do you wish the HR had some effects built in?

I love my SC XD! Can't let a day go by without plugging into it for at least a few minutes. But - if I had a HR too and I was heading to a gig I wouldn't even think of taking the Super Champ over the Hot Rod. (Unless I could take both!) And the Vibro Champ really isn't an option. At 5 watts it's a practice amp only. The SC is giggable, especially if you've had some time to learn the voicings and you can dial your sound in quickly, and I guess it would depend on the room and what kind of SRS was available, but all things being equal, I'd definitely feel much, much better w/ a 40 watt 1x12 over a 15 watt 1x10. It's be nice to know that the headroom would be there if you needed it. Of course, if you could run the SC through a 2x12 that would probably give you all the juice you'd need.

If you want a lighter, cheaper combo that would let you avoid risking the HR at bar gigs then I do have an idea. Not an elegant solution mind you, but a practical one- a Frontman or Frontman DSP w/ an upgraded speaker like an Emi Rajin Cajun or Weber Signature might get you where you want to be for less that what a new SC XD. Yeah, lots of people laugh at the Frontman amps, I'm sure that you're bandmates will give you sh!t for it at first, but the clean channel of the non-DSP models, through a decent speaker, is pretty nice if you like 'Fender clean'. Just don't ever try the dirt channel. Ever. Your ears will never forgive you. And supposedly the DSP module in the Frontman is the same as is used on the XD combos so if you're trying tio add effects that might do the trick. (Of course, this is a bit of a last resort solution. If you can afford more, feel free to disregard this.)

• Members

If you have a hot rod, that's amp to use.

I've had 3 scxd amps. The first two had rattle issues. One of them it was just a tube, and the other it was a rattle from inside the amp chassis (not a loose screw, that one was really bad). Actually, the one I have now had a small rattle too but it was easily fixed by wedging a small piece of cardboard in between the speaker baffle and the amp chassis (in front of the amp cab).

I took the my scxd to a jam last night (this was lower volumes, the other guitar player had his volume on a Hot Rod set to 1.5) and I got a some pretty bad speaker farting out of the scxd at times. Maybe I will put a different speaker in it after all.

Archived