help me decide on a TELE (off the shelf vs partscaster)

Johansolo

• Members

after years and years of owning metal/humbucker guitars, i finally took the plunge and bought myself a nice american deluxe ash body/maple neck S/S/S strat this year. i love the single coil...but now im ready to take the plunge and add a Tele to my collection (joining the strat, PRS, Ibby 7 string and LP)

im a big richie kotzen fan so would be wantin to coax as much tones just from my amp (EL84 class A Framus 30W) just from the guitars knobs and pickups

im not fussed RE name so fender/squier etc doenst bother me...value for money/playability is what im after

so far squier classic vibe and mex baja players teles have caught my eye...but also G&Ls and the yamaha pacifica/mike stern teles.

any other suggestions?

would appreciate the tele conniieseurs chiming in on anything tele related (eg pickups,wiring etc) as well as those who have put together teles from parts (i sucessfully made a strat partscaster previously and loved it)

of if you own tele(s) feel free to post them so i can get some ideas/induce my gas further.

i think i may have a soft spot for something blonde/butterscotch.

• Members

This should help build that GAS like you want...

The collection as is now (in progress)

teles01.jpg

The pride of my collection

finished.jpg

I was brought up on LP style guitars and humbuckers so I've found that single coils (especially in neck position) are damn hard to beat. P90 in the neck... :love: You may want to look into a stacked humbucker bridge pickup. I'm a big fan of these kinds of pickups (Seymour Duncan's STK-T2b).

No matter what - I'd recommend a partscaster over a shelf model. But you may very well end up getting a cheapie that plays well of the shelf and modding the hell out of it. Good way to go for sure :thu:

• Members

i like the bottom (white one with black pickguard) in the first pic...what is it?

and what pickup is in the bridge? hot rail?

i want a tele mainly for hte bridge pickup so that has to stay single coil/true tele tone. ill consider having a neck humbucker but not fussed.

to me...the tele bridge pup and strat neck pup are 2 essential tones i cant live without.

• Members

I think Telecasters are among the ugliest-looking guitars in the universe, so why bother buying one unless you're going after "the" Tele sound?

(Meaning the sound you get from a slanted single in the ash tray and a covered mini single neck pickup.)

Other people may have different tastes, but that's how I see it.

PS: I love my H1 Tele so much, it's ugliness has become cute to me. Like a bulldog puppy.

• Members

I think Telecasters are among the ugliest-looking guitars in the universe,
so why bother buying one unless you're going after "the" Tele sound?

(Meaning the sound you get from a slanted single in the ash tray and a covered mini single neck pickup.)

PS: I love my H1 Tele so much, it's ugliness has become cute to me. Like a bulldog puppy.

Is that in the known universe?

Here's a pic of my Fender Baja Telecaster. You can create quite a brouhaha with a baja. Or more specifically, you've got a fat neck, good pickups, an in series position (which if you EQ right can sound like a P90 or HB). Cheaper than the Am Std by about half.

100_1706.jpg

• Members

I think Telecasters are among the ugliest-looking guitars in the universe, so why bother buying one unless you're going after "the" Tele sound?

You think Tele's are ugly, so why bother getting one unless it's for the sound...yet you love your Tele and now you think it's cute....

Seek help before you harm yourself or others....:freak:

• Members

DSCN1165.jpg

On the right

Partso-tele all the way if you've got the bones, if not a used MIA or higher-end MIM are great. Be sure to check out the MIJ/ CIJ Fenders as well.

On the less-travelled side, I've heard phenomenal things about Bacchus guitars, and have a semi-permanent woody for one o' these:

T-Master-a1.jpg

T-Master-a2.jpg

T-Master-a3.jpg

FWIW, a p90 neck is the stuff on a tele. I LUBS my BG :)

• Members

[quote=warriorpoet;36905621

T-Master-a3.jpg

FWIW, a p90 neck is the stuff on a tele. I LUBS my BG :)

Hot damn: a tele with a contoured body. That has been my only objection to the teles I've owned: all the sharp edges against my flab. I know that a man needs to suffer for his art, but I prefer to go against the grain.

I'm going to browse the Bacchus site right now.

• Members

Them are fighting words.

I've owned quite a few Teles but I mostly do the whole Partscaster thing now.

My girls:

DSC_0036.jpg

Carolyn

DSC_0029.jpg

Ophelia

DSC_0041.jpg

Evangeline

• Members

Is that in the known universe?

Here's a pic of my Fender Baja Telecaster. You can create quite a brouhaha with a baja. Or more specifically, you've got a fat neck, good pickups, an in series position (which if you EQ right can sound like a P90 or HB). Cheaper than the Am Std by about half.

100_1706.jpg

If I was to buy a Tele off the shelf this is exactly what I would want. I love the Twisted Tele neck pickup on the Baja. One of Fender's absolute best. I just wish they sold the damn thing on it's own.

• Members

buster2.jpg

• Members

Part Caster all the way!

First, find THE neck for you. What radius and shape do you want? What material do you prefer on the board and what types of frets? You can buy Fender necks on EBay or custom necks at Warmoth. IMO, the neck is the deciding factor on any guitar.

I've liked ash bodies so I'd go with that. Traditional three barrel bridge, slanted pup and through the body strings. As far as pickups... a SD Seymorized SM3 in the neck and a SD Quarter Pounder in the bridge. That combination will give you the Telecaster twang and sound but with much more versatility.

• Members

I woudl go with a Partsocaster too as long as you feel comfortable building it.

I've seen and played Partsocaters that were better than any custom shop guitar and I've played some that were worse than entry lever Squiers.

I will say that you can get exactly what you want by building but it depends on your skillz.

What's your price range for both?

• Members

lookwise...m pretty much sold on either a blonde, or natural grain finish + black pickguard + maple fretboard...

ive put together a partsocaster before (see pic)

DSC03934.jpg

DSC03939.jpg

ash body w/quilt maple top+maple neck w/ebony fretboard.

SD APS2s in neck/middle + Custom Custom in bridge.

it was one of my fav playing guitars but i think i made it too bright sounding with those choice of woods...

a tele build cant be harder than that (due to the not having a trem)

if its a partscaster i wouldnt have a budget at all...price is not an issue for what i want.

that being said...that baja is tempting me to go buy one now

• Members

PS i kind of agree with the guy who posted that the tele was the ugliest looking guitar.

i used to hold the view that if it wasnt a super strat/metal guitar with dual humbuckers it wasnt a good guitar but ive really gone full circle with my playing style/music taste. i still have 1-2 "metal guitars (PRS CE24 and Ibanez 7 string) but i love my strat and have a LP too...

just want that tele tone now...

also...would be interesting to see what that posters (and other tele peoples) thoughts are on....

this...

ae_parker_p-36.jpg

Archived