Suggestions on a 40w+ tube amp

Woody_in_MN

• Members

Guys,

I am thinking of returning my Vypyr (SS) and am looking for suggestions for a 40w+ tube amp to compliment the Vox AD30VT (Valvetronics) I just got. Now here is the though part. I want something under 40 lbs (around 30 lbs would be perfect). I'd also like a tube amp that has some modeling available. (Picky devil - aren't I?)

Ideas?

Thanks,

- W

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Spider Valve?

Get it for $600 w/ the 20% off at MF.

I have never played one, but I don't know what else is out there with tubes and modeling if you're returning a Vypyr. Personally, I'd go one way or the other - either get a tube amp and some pedals, or a modeler and a power engine or a powerblock or something.

Edit: Just noticed it's 45 lbs. - maybe get one of these, too.

• Members

I would just get a peavey classic 30 its very portable can get very loud. Its a great gigging amp imo. I have a lot of effect pedals with mine i think they are easier to use than modeling amps when you play live. The valve king is not a bad amp either im still not done modding my up but it has a great fender sounding clean and a very useable dirt channel with a boast. You could gig one with out a pedal board if you wanted to.

• Members

Bogner alchemist?
Not great, but as a lot a variety in it.

The point of modeler is compensating the quality of the tone by offering a variety of them. Once you get nice tube amps, you don't get much modeling because you sacrifice that versatility for increased tone quality.

And to get that nice analog signal, you have to eliminate/reduce the digital processing.

• Members

Kustom Defender -- 50 Watts, runs either EL34 or 6L6 power tubes, master bypass switch, reverb, fingerjointed pine cabinet with birch baffle, 1x12 speaker, adjustable boost circuit. Weighs less than 40lbs. Assembled in USA from domestic and imported components (like every other "USA-made" amp).

Kustom website-- Defender amp

Link to owner's manual:

Kustom Defender Owner's Manual (PDF)

Defender-Left_534x480.jpg

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

If you're going to get a tube amp, get a tube amp. It will be a better complement to a modeler you already have.

Second, why 40 watts? Do you play loud metal or need tons of clean headroom? If not, you should really think about lower wattage amps. A deluxe reverb, which is 22w, is quite loud.

Finally - physical size - I hate to say it, but sometimes small cab sizes can be real killers particularly with weak bass response. Tube amps are inherently heavy.

And what do you want as far as channel switching, master volume, what kind of music do you plan to play, etc? Doesn't seem like you really know what you want. Don't buy for the sake of buying.

• Members

I always like plugging into a Valveking.

Me too. Used mine for a gig Sat. night. I don't think it gets along very well with the Vintage 30 I installed though as it was sounding a little thin until I backed off the mids some.

• Members

If you're going to get a tube amp, get a tube amp. It will be a better complement to a modeler you already have.

Second, why 40 watts? Do you play loud metal or need tons of clean headroom? If not, you should really think about lower wattage amps. A deluxe reverb, which is 22w, is quite loud.

Finally - physical size - I hate to say it, but sometimes small cab sizes can be real killers particularly with weak bass response. Tube amps are inherently heavy.

And what do you want as far as channel switching, master volume, what kind of music do you plan to play, etc? Doesn't seem like you really know what you want. Don't buy for the sake of buying.

Well when you say "you seem like you don't know what you really want" - there is some truth there. I have yet to own a true tube amp. I enjoy the ease of the presets that I have in my SS amps. I guess I am resisting change a bit - not 100% comfortable leaving the modeling behind. There are always pedals, and I have a few of those I like.

I am mainly looking to get some ideas. I have kind of thought thru the options that I know about, but want to see what other people can come up with.

To answer you question on style - I come up to the line of "Metal" - but I don't think I really cross over. But Metal is a relitive ting. Maybe to some people I am playing metal. Hard to quantify.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

- W

• Members

Classic 30 is a good choice but 30 Watts (tube) can be overkill unless your playing out. Tube amps even in the 5 Watt range can blow you out of your house when cranked.
I gigged with a 18 watt amp in some fairly decent sized rooms and had plenty of volume left over.

• Members

Classic 30 is a good choice but 30 Watts (tube) can be overkill unless your playing out. Tube amps even in the 5 Watt range can blow you out of your house when cranked.

I gigged with a 18 watt amp in some fairly decent sized rooms and had plenty of volume left over.

Well - that is a good point. I would think (hope) that there would be a master volume besides a volume to help control the overkill.

- W

Archived