Got my Douglas Shadow (les paul)

Vespertine

• Members

Actually I got it a couple days ago. I was looking to buy a nice guitar to mod, and since the specs/price seemed right I decided to pull the trigger. Although I've heard good things about Rondos products, I was a little skeptic because I couldn't find a lot reviews on it or anything, so I had no idea what to expect.

So how is it? Well let me tell you, this thing plays awesome!! I don't know why these are not as popular as the other models.

It is a bolt on, and solid alder. I do understand though that when people look into les paul shaped guitars, they're trying to get.. well.. that les paul sound. But if you look past that, it's definitely a nice platform. The finish is outstanding, a lot nicer in person than on the pics (that black looking portion of the burst is actually a really dark brown.. hard to photograph though). Well balanced. The fret work is really good too, not uneven or sharp frets.. all I needed to do was adjust the relief a little bit, it came a little to flat for my liking, but that was it. As far as electronics goes, the stock pickups are not bad, but I'd like a more vintage tone.

All things considered, I think this is a sweet deal, definitely worth checking out. :thu:

I already opened my tool box, and have some parts coming my way so I'll keep you posted :evil::cool:

DSC_0003-1.jpg

• Members

Nice finish. I am curious what the outcome will be of your modding. The bolt on neck turned me off from this particular Agile. But, with some new pups, you might get some interesting sounds. P90's maybe?

Thanks, yeah, it already plays great so hopefully after the mods I'll get it to sound awesome as well :)

As for the pickups, I ordered a set of Golden Age humbuckers from Stewmac.com I've only heard good things about them so I gave them a shot. From what I read they're supposed to be something very similar to a classic 57/ seth lover. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/Golden_Age_Pickups/Golden_Age_Humbuckers.html

5403_1lg.jpg

5403_2lg.jpg

5403_3lg.jpg

I'm also changing all the pots to full sized CTS's, and swapping the plastic nut for a graphite one.

Archived