Epiphone Dot pickup...

LR Weizel

• Members

These have to be about the darkest, gnarliest sounding pickups ever... I bought my Dad one but I think he'd honestly prefer brighter pickups that sound a little more acoustic like. The PAF style HBs in my Sheena are good for this. I was thinking maybe a HB sized P90 in the neck might work well. Maybe swap out for a brighter tone pot too.

What do other people put in their Dots?

• Members

The one I pulled out of the bridge of my Alleykat was labeled "Les Paul bridge, Dot neck, bridge."

So I'm assuming it has to be the same. I didn't find it dark in my Kat or the Epi SG that its in now. Probably a lot of variability in those I guess.

I replaced it with the BG Pure 90 and couldn't be happier. The Kat is different construction than the Dot so the sound is somewhat different, but the Pure 90 is a much brighter, more responsive pickup without a doubt.

Pretty common to drop Burstbuckers or Gibson 57s in there too.

EG

• Moderators

I used to have a Dot and while I liked it, yeah, I found them dull and muddy.

I ended up trading it towards a Jag, but before that I was gonaa thros some GFS HB-sized Filtertron copies in. I bet that would have rocked!

• Members

One cheap way to brighten up a pickup is with a potentiometer swap. If the stock ones are 300K, swap for 500K pot. Or, perhaps even consider a 1000K volume pot.

If you are trying to REALLY brighten up a pup, you could even rewire to bypass the tone pot completely. Or replace the standard tone pots with ones that have a built in bypass position.

• Members

I used to have an early '90s dot and those pickups were very dark and muddy... sound quite different than the dots I've played lately. I'm quite happy with the GFS Dream 180s I put in my Ibanez AS73 (similar to the dot). I can get some nice bright and jangley tones out of that.

• Members

A pot swap in a Dot is a bitch. Everything has to come out through the pup cavities. You have to do all your work externally then feed them back into place. Not fun. Leave that to a tech if you are unsure.

I replaced the pots on my Epi SG with Gibson 500s, which are CTS built. I had already replaced the pickups with good ones and the guitar still sounded horrible. After the pot switch it came to life. I have heard stories from other folks that switching pots didn't make much difference so I'm guessing that there is a lot of inconsistency in those Epi pots. Some good, some not. I measured the ones I took out at 350 and 400k ohms resistance. That's off the scale for acceptable variation. Perhapssome are closer to the actual 500 they are supposed to be.

Maybe with the Dot you start with the pickups and see how it sounds before you gut it with open heart surgery.

A good set of HBs or some 90s would brighten it up a lot. The 90s certainly will have the biggest change in sound but a good set of HBs would be good too.

EG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

When I find time to troubleshoot my wiring mess I'll let you know how BG Pure 90s sound in a DOT. I was never impressed with the stock humbuckers in that guitar. Mine is a mid-90s, so the stockers may be different from your dad's. . .

You'll be a hapopy, happy man once you get it working. Pure 90s work very well in semi hollows.

I had a set in my Sheraton and it sounded sweet.

Archived