New bridge pickup for my Xaviere Tele.

LR Weizel

• Members

I have a Fatbody in my XV820 at the moment, as the pickup that was in there stopped working. In all honesty I prefered the stock one a little, though this one's a little higher output which is nice. It seems like there's a bit more of a bass cut than there should be. It's also very very twangy to the point of being obnoxious when run with Vox style gain, and sounds ridiculous clean. I might be getting an AC4TV and I'd like to be able to use this with it.

On the other hand I quite like the sound of most modern Tele bridge pickups. I have a friend with an MIM 60s anniversary Tele, it's got a much more useful sound in the bridge.

Any idea which GFS pickup would work for me? Or should I just see if I can pickup a stock Fender pickup on the cheap?

I want something voiced more for alt rock than country type stuff. I like a lot of Daniel Ash's tele tones too, and I find it harder to get them with my new Fatbody pickup over the stock one. I want "clang" sounds more than "twang" sounds if that makes any sense.

• Members

I have a bridge/neck fatbody in a tele, really like 'em. I agree that the neck pickup is better then the bridge, but I do like the bridge.

I would keep my eye out for a used fender pup... or maybe contact bryan at bg-pups.com - I love his strat pickups.

• Members

I'm more of a strat guy than a tele guy but the Fatbody is my favorite neck tele pickup and the Fender Nocaster is my favorite bridge tele pickup.

I do think that for what you are talking about, I'd strongly consider a low output HB for the bridge. Something not too bass heavy. Probably a Dimarzio Fast Track. I have two of the GFS Lil Killer strat pickups (both are the 10K version) which I like pretty well, but in my strats, they are a little brighter than a typical full size HB, but not as spanky as I'd ideally like in a tele.

I'd look for a used Fast Track or a Chopper, esp if you are planning on putting in a coil split. I'm planning on possibly refinishing the top of my tele that has the Fatbody. If I do that project, I'll be putting a Fast Track in that one.

• Members

I still want it to sound like a Tele though, and definitely a single coil. I already have some awesome sounding(well for stock) low output hums in my Sheena, so I want more tonal options.

Maybe something a bit more Strat like would be nice, but what I really want are some real nice Daniel Ash and more modern alt rock tones that Teles get used for a lot.

Archived