MIM vs MIA Fenders... your personal preference and why?

GRAF

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I own a MIA strat, a Squier Japan strat (which I've replaced the neck with a Warmoth), and a California strat. I've replaced the pickups on 2 of the 3 and am working on replacing the third. I've also played my brother in law's MIM extensively.

My next strat will be a partscaster with a Warmoth neck and third party pickups. So I'd say neither.

• Members

The neck on my MIM with rosewood is really not any worse than the American deluxe I sent back to MF. The rosewood was shinier, the finish is nicer on the dlx, but it doesn't play any better really..until you get up near the 18th fret or so, where there is an obvious fret that needs to be dressed down. This is where you are saving money on the MIM.

The American deluxe, besides all the fancy upgrades, has a perfect fret job and flawless finish. But I'll tell you, I don't think it really sounded better than the MIM..I actually found the noiseless pickups on the deluxe to be uninspiring and lifeless, and acoustically I couldn't tell a difference between the 2 guitars...I paid $899 for one, and $299 for the other, and the normal sale prices are even further apart. You can put all the upgrades on the MIM and get a fret level for way less than you'd pay for the Am dlx.

I think that with Maple fretboards, there is a wider disparity.

• Members

I got a MiM Strat...it's wonderful as far as I'm concerned. Though I mainly bought it for a mod foundation. So I changed a few things from the stock. Planet Waves locking tuners, put on a bone nut, blocked the trem, totally replaced the pick-ups and all the electronics with a pre-assembled pickguard...wasn't totally expensive but all told I got a guitar that blows away a stock American Strat (for me at least) for about $650 bucks. Sure, wouldn't get that in a resale, but I don't resell my gear.

• Members

The MIA is 3 pieces of alder, the MIM is easily 7+ pieces.

I seriously doubt that..maybe on a Squier perhaps..i think Mexican Fenders are lower grade wood and have upto 5 pieces in a spread were USA use upto 3 pieces to a spread.

My own view on things as someone that currently owns 4 USA Strats, has owned a few more over the years as well as 2 USA Tele's is one mindset that is actually changing. Before the Classic Player series I was adamant I wouldn't go lower than a USA Standard...now after playing the 60's Classic Player Strats I can honestly say I'd happily own one of those.

Reasons for my USA preferences....

Better fit and finish.
better woods/fewer blocks to a spread (spreads are what Fender call the blocks they glue together to get enough size to route a body)
I prefer the pickups usually on the USA Strats/Teles as the Mex ones are usually ceramic and a bit hotter/harsher.
Prefer the bridges on USA Fenders.
Hardcase included...which if you get a mex is an extra expense to add to equalise them in a comparison!!
1 extra fret!:thu: Thats like 1 note higher x 6 ie 1 note higher per string! How spinal tap is that?:thu:

• Members
I seriously doubt that..maybe on a Squier perhaps..i think Mexican Fenders are lower grade wood and have upto 5 pieces in a spread were USA use upto 3 pieces to a spread.

Some of the older MIMs were made out of as much as 5-7 pieces, but now a days most are 3 pieces. Most Alder bodied Squiers are 2-3 pieces these days too

• Members
Don't own either but played a bunch helping a friend look. The obvious difference to me was the necks. The MIA nearly always felt much nicer. There was the odd mexican that felt better than the odd USA but that was rare. And to me there is nothing trivial about the feel of a neck. In my opinion it's probably one of the most important things along with resonance.

It's interesting that you say this because I believe, per a recent article done by a guy who'd just toured the Mexican plants, the necks for the MIMs are, in fact, made in the states and sent down.

Hmmm.....

• Members

OP, maybe this has been covered already, but what's the perspective?

For the part-timer who plays in bars/clubs, dragging out a $1K+ guitar is sort of dicey...I don't do it personally. I'm bringing MIM and Squier. With minimal upgrades, say $200 (or the price of a REALLY nice pickup set) you can get a great player piece. Probably wouldn't win any awards, but it'll be solid and dependable - and that's what's important for regular gigging.

I can recognize the MIA's are superior on just about every level out of the box. BUT I don't need to spend that kind of money to get a good guitar. It's that simple for me.

So I prefer the MIM.

• Members
That's true and so are the bodies.

Someone @Fender told me that the MIM neck and bodies are made in the States, then take a short trip over the border for painting and assembly. I own 1 MIA Strat, 1 MIA Tele, 1 MIM, Strat, 1 MIM Tele. I change pups and do other mods on all. Slight preference for MIA neck. The similarities far outweigh differences.