Opinions on Epi ES295 (Scotty Moore model)?

Karma1

• Members

I have an opportunity to buy one of these used for $600 in mint condition - I believe it has a roller bridge added. I haven't seen it in person yet and have never played one, but have been reading some reviews online and have seen some youtube videos of them. I love the look of them and have been wanting a guitar with P90's to round out my collection of Tele's, Strat, & Les Paul. I'm not really into the twangy rockabilly sound which is the history of this guitar, but would want if more for a clean jazzy rhythm guitar, mostly for recording. Anybody here own one or played one and have any feedback about them?

• Members

I had an opportunity to try one a couple of years back, and, unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough to make my move, and the next time I went back to the shop, it was gone. It wasn't perfect, but a good luthier would've gotten it damn close. The Epi ES-295 comes with a Bigsby, and the P90 tone is great. If I ever see one again, I intend to grab it.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

I had one and took it back. I was playing in fairly hard-rocking, high gain type of outfit at the time. I wish I had just kept it and got a Dean Dimebag or something. Get it, it's very good for the music you describe. Yummy neck pickup. It just squealed at the tunes I was playing at the time. Big sucker...

• Members

I've got one, had it for several years. I Gretschified it by adding a pair of Filtertrons using some P90 mounts I got from TV Jones, then wired it up in one of the Gretsch schematics available on their website. Great guitar after I did a fret level on it and a Tusq nut. Plays like a dream.

I'll post some pics tonight.

• Members

I don't know about better off with the gibson. For me, the epi is what I needed.

I have had one for almost 3 years now. I played stratty guitars only until I got that. I like it alot. I play rockabilly anyway and was always trying to get that sound on strats. You definitely need the hollow body to get that sound.

One thing that I thought sucked about it when i bought it was the b7. By bigsby specs, this guitar should have a b6 like the gibson. I have strung mine over top of the torsion bar and played many gretsches with the proper b6. Guess what? I hate the b6. the b7 puts more tension across the bridge. I play pretty hard rhythm and i actually like the added tension.

I have had a bunch of good players use that guitar and just love the {censored} out of it. The only issue I have every had was the nut on the output jack loosened up when i played a gig at the rock and roll hall of fame. Luckily the cable was plugged in at the time, so it didn't disappear into the interior. When i got it home, I put some elmers or something on there so it wouldn't come loose again.

p90s are great for rockabilly. they are pretty noisy though. I don't imagine the inside of that body has copper tape on it. They are single coils. I don't use a bunch of distortion, so it's not really that bad. The epi pickups are fine by me.

I would snatch that thing up for $600 unless it was one of the older ones with the big goofy E on the fake bigsby. Mine has the licensed b70. The gibby version will be about ten times that. I'd never take it out to a bar if I paid that much. I'll take the disposable one.

Edit:

{censored}. I thought the gibby reissue was 5 grand. Here is a real one for 4 grand:

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/40U-4288.htm

Archived