Is a Fender for me?

uz3r

• Members

Ive come from the world of ESP/Schecter/Ibanez but now Im in the mood for a change.

I dont think Im interested in Gibson, so Im eyeing off a Strat or Tele. Can Strats/Tele's pull off heavy rock? How would you describe the difference between a Strat and a Tele? Is one more suitable for heavy rock than the other? If its going to be used through a high gain amp, is a PUP change necessary?

The Strat's I have played have also had quite thick necks, can you get Strats or Tele's with thinner necks?

Sorry for the 21 questions, just keen to get the dumb questions out the way before I head to any stores. :)

• Members

Out of the box, a tele is probably closer to a heavy rock guitar than a strat...at least when both are using the bridge pickup. But, if you run a humbucker in the bridge of a strat, rather than a single coil, you have, IMHO, the perfect guitar, expeically if can be coil-split. You still have all the coolness of the middle and neck pickups, but a heavier, less thin sounding bridge position, but close to a SSS, when split.

The same can be said for a tele. There are a number bridge pickups for tele's that will thickin' them up in the bridge as well. The right neck pickup in a tele can be as close to nirvana as you might be able to get with a guitar.

• Members

An HSS Strat can pull off both heavy and "twangy".

A tele with a humbucker is going to be a fat, rich sounding guitar. (One like a tele deluxe will be similar in tone to your HH guitars)

I personally love the look and feel of strats over teles, but in terms of sound they are both different and wonderful. Telecaster bodies are too thick against my fat belly and too sharp against my forearm, but this can be gotten used to.

I applaud your branching out effort. If you want a great tele or strat but don't want to sink a lot of money into an untested guitar, get a Squier Classic Vibe or Squier standard.

Also, most Strats and Teles have medium-thin necks ("Modern C") so you shouldn't have any trouble making the switch. In my opinion, though, once you go fat, you don't go back.

• Members

An HSS Strat can pull off both heavy and "twangy".

A tele with a humbucker is going to be a fat, rich sounding guitar. (One like a tele
will be similar in tone to your HH guitars)

I personally love the look and feel of strats over teles, but in terms of sound they are both different and wonderful. Telecaster bodies are too thick against my fat belly and too sharp against my forearm, but this can be gotten used to.

I applaud your branching out effort. If you want a great tele or strat but don't want to sink a lot of money into an untested guitar, get a Squier Classic Vibe or Squier standard.

Also, most Strats and Teles have medium-thin necks ("Modern C") so you shouldn't have any trouble making the switch. In my opinion, though, once you go fat, you don't go back.

Awesome. Thank you.

Ive considered trying a Squire but ruled it out in my mind because I didnt want to be put off on a Fender because I got a cheap one. Maybe Ill have another look at them to try out. In my experience the electrics are the worst thing about a cheap guitar maybe I can look at a squire tele and switch out the pup in a Squire with a JB or similar.

• Members

Seriously? They're fairly thin to me. When I think "thick" I think of like a 50's Les Paul neck.

I tried a mates Strat, I think it was an old (70's?) American one, maybe it was just that guitar. Sounded great but neck was a bit too thick.

• Members

I tried a mates Strat, I think it was an old (70's?) American one, maybe it was just that guitar. Sounded great but neck was a bit too thick.

In my experience the 70s strats have some of the thinnest necks of vintage strats. a 50s v neck would be a much thicker neck. There is nothing wrong with high end Squiers. Get a Squier classic vibe or find an 80s MIJ E series on the cheap and you will be set.

• Members

162_images_Electro_Harmonix_Nano_LPB1.jp

this works really well for me when using single coil pickups. you still get the clarity of a sinlge coil pickup but beefs it up real nice for a heavy guitar tone. I've used it with a rickenbacker and was told "i never knew a rick could sound like that!" its been my secret weapon for a few years now.

• Members

In my experience the 70s strats have some of the thinnest necks of vintage strats.

Yeah sorry dont quote me on what era the one I played was, I was taking a bit of a guess... I just know it wasnt a new one.

Archived