OT - My IE8 screen is messed up

Jeff Leites

• Members

Thanks Craig, but I just found a fix.

I went to the desktop, right clicked, selected properties, and changed my theme.

That fixed it. I was able to go back to my original theme, and IE8 was still OK.

I don't have any apps that don't work due to IE8.

Another windows mystery :idk:

• Members

UINSTALL IE8 IMMEDIATELY. It's poison, and made my WAVES and URS plug-ins stop working. This is a known issue, not something unique to my setup.

Went back to IE7 and all is well. Avoid IE8 like the plague.

Are you serious about this??? Because my Explorer looks exactly the same at the moment with a lot of the options blacked out,..........

How do I go back to 7????

• Members

Yeah... I have to say that my complaints about worked well and loaded and unloaded clean and quickly (on my machines).

But IE8 is... just a bloated, memory-leaking bag of... stuff. It takes a long time to load and after it closes down, you don't have as much free memory as before it loaded -- by a lot on my machine.

(Now, let me say that I had some parallel problems with FireFox 3.5 -- until I tried the firefox -p command line switch, which forces FF to give you a choice of creating and running a new profile. Even though I'd previously stripped all the plugs and add-ins and even my bookmarks out of my old profile -- to no avail -- starting with a fresh profile got me past the memory leaking and instability my old FF 3.5 profile had apparently developed. I don't know how IE8 handles profile-switching, if at all, but it might be something worth fooling around with.)

• Members

UINSTALL IE8 IMMEDIATELY. It's poison, and made my WAVES and URS plug-ins stop working. This is a known issue, not something unique to my setup.

Went back to IE7 and all is well. Avoid IE8 like the plague.

I'm wondering if these problems are OS/compatibility related.

I've had no problems with IE8 on Vista 32-bit (work) or 7 64-bit (home). Am I the only one? (I haven't checked for memory leaks...).

Anyway, I know a lot of people here are still on XP for compatibility and other reasons, so just wondering if maybe IE8 doesn't play nice with XP, or if the problems are wider than that...

In terms of performance, I find it's much faster loading javascript and CSS than FF3.5. Slower to load the app though.

• Members

IE8 is screwy. I won't bore you with details, but after I went to IE8, my internet connection when totally bonkers. Did a number of things and it kind of works....but I generally use Mozilla. I will not install IE8 on my netbook. Good luck if you use it.

Archived