Shipping a guitar UPS or Fedex Ground?

grickie

• Members

do you have a special shipping scale? or do you just use a bathroom scale?

You can find a good (used) digital postal scale on eBay for less than 50 bucks. If you're going to be doing a lot of shipping, I would highly recommend one. I use mine weekly, and the convenience alone has paid for this thing times over.

• Members
FedEx is who I use. Not only are the prices better, but when I walked into the shop the first time the guys working there treated me like an old friend and we've become friends since then. At UPS, the interaction was extremely inpersonal and I was paying more for what I felt was an inferior service. I like FedEx's tracking system better as well.

I think UPS' tracking is superior.

• Members

I always ship UPS and have never had a problem.I rarely insure because if you don't let them pack it (big $$$$) they will not cover it,from what I'm told.I sent a guitar from South Jersey to Tennessee in less than 3 days.I always pack as if I'm sending it to Iraq though.

• Members
I always ship UPS and have never had a problem.I rarely insure because if you don't let them pack it (big $$$$) they will not cover it,from what I'm told.I sent a guitar from South Jersey to Tennessee in less than 3 days.I always pack as if I'm sending it to Iraq though.

I've never had them turn down a legit request for damage when I've done my own packing.

• Members

UPS is NEVER slower for me, usually a day quicker.

You live in MN, I live in Florida and everytime I buy a guitar or amp from the west coast it is 6-8 days minimum from UPS. Fed Ex less than 5 days.

• Members

Wow lots of interesting responses. Here is what happened:

I go to Fedex ground ( at Kinkos) I stand in line everything filled out 10 minutes later or so I put the box on the scale hand the guy my paperwork. He says if the insured amout is over $500 has has to open and inspect the item and packing. I have shipped a 100+ guitars with no problems in past years ( although none in the last 1yr or so). I spend a lot of time packing and the guitar was bubble wrapped in a hard case and double boxed then all air voids were filled with peanuts and paper. Then every seam of a very heavy box was taped. No way I'm gonna open it. I told him I was going to UPS. No response from them. I drive to the UPS ( in a staples right down the street. Walk in put the guitar on the scale and was out the door in minutes with no problem, just under $40 to ship a Gibson Explorer across county ( to arrive in 4 days). I walked out very happy and will not go back to Fedex ground until things change with one or the other.

It seems that the rules for both Fed ex and UPS very at each location. So I guess there is no one best place.

Thanks for all the responses!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I tend to use FedEx Ground because it's usually cheaper. I have used UPS, usually with no problems, as well.

The key is to pack carefully. Your package will be going through several depots along the way, some of which are more careful than others. I had the "pleasure" of seeing what can happen to your package in one of these sorting centers. There are places where packages can easily fall 15-20 feet from conveyor belts. I am no longer surprised that I had two Elitist SGs arrive with snapped headstocks despite the fact that they were in hard cases inside a strong cardboard box filled with crumpled newspaper.

On the other hand, my current UPS hub seems to be pretty careful. I got a semi-hollow recently that was sent in a 20 year old Epiphone case with nothing but a cardboard box wrapped around it. Almost unbelievably, it arrived intact. I had to contact the seller about another issue, and I mentioned the inadequate packaging. She said the UPS store packed it and charged her $100 for packing and shipping. Now THAT is a crime.

Archived