Pickup dilemma

jhamnett

• Members

OK, here's a little bit of a story:

I recently had my Fender Friday Jag HH fitted with Gibson 57 Classics and holy hell the results are amazing! They're just the sweetest pickups I've ever played, and I can get a lot of tonal variety with the Jag's pickup switching options. This might become my #1 guitar it sounds so heavenly. Getting this guitar for $300 and upgrading it has been totally worth it.

Well, I've been comparing the sounds I get out of my Jag and my PRS CE24. I can tell a distinct difference between both positions. The HFS has more output and more of a bite to the 57 bridge. Where the 57 is more suited towards classic rock, the HFS handles hard rock quite nicely and I've really been enjoying it lately.

The problem is the neck. The 57 classic has been the sweetest, clearest neck pickup I've ever played and, through my Marshall JTM60, just matches the sound I've had stuck in my head for so long. The Vintage Bass on the PRS is mud in comparison. The tone of the two isn't even close. I've already moved away from using it, and now I'm convinced.

So, TLDR... I want a neck pickup for my PRS CE24 that has the clearness of the 57 classic, but more output. I can't throw a 57 in there or else I lose my 5-way switching, which I'd like to preserve. What's my best option? Note that the CE24 has an alder body with a maple top and a rosewood fretboard.

• Members

OK, here's a little bit of a story:

I recently had my Fender Friday Jag HH fitted with Gibson 57 Classics and holy hell the results are amazing! They're just the sweetest pickups I've ever played, and I can get a lot of tonal variety with the Jag's pickup switching options. This might become my #1 guitar it sounds so heavenly. Getting this guitar for $300 and upgrading it has been totally worth it.

Well, I've been comparing the sounds I get out of my Jag and my PRS CE24. I can tell a distinct difference between both positions. The HFS has more output and more of a bite to the 57 bridge. Where the 57 is more suited towards classic rock, the HFS handles hard rock quite nicely and I've really been enjoying it lately.

The problem is the neck. The 57 classic has been the sweetest, clearest neck pickup I've ever played and, through my Marshall JTM60, just matches the sound I've had stuck in my head for so long. The Vintage Bass on the PRS is mud in comparison. The tone of the two isn't even close. I've already moved away from using it, and now I'm convinced.

So, TLDR... I want a neck pickup for my PRS CE24 that has the clearness of the 57 classic, but more output. I can't throw a 57 in there or else I lose my 5-way switching, which I'd like to preserve. What's my best option? Note that the CE24 has an alder body with a maple top and a rosewood fretboard.

so you can't put the 57 in because it isn't a 4-conductor wire p'up. Someone will know better than me but i'm sure you can mod most humbuckers to be 4-wire.

• Members

Bump?

I think here's where I should be looking:

SD: Jazz, 59, Alnico II Pro, Seth Lover

Dimarzio: Humbucker from Hell, PAF 36th Anniversary, Air Classic

BG: Any of these, damn... maybe one of the A4 varieties for a something different

I do want a more vintage sound, but not exactly like the 57 Classic, maybe something with more output to match the HFS.

• Members

I have a SD '59 in an LTD EC1000 and SD Alnico II Pros in an LTD PB500. The 59 has more output than the Pro II, but the Pro II is clearer. Both sound very smooth. I'm not a high gain player and the Pro II really sounds good clean and dirty. If you are looking for something to match with a high output bridge I would go with the 59. The Pro IIs seem, to me at least, to only sound right with another Pro II in the bridge.

I do not have any direct experience with the others, although the BG and Seth Lover pickups get rave reviews.

• Members

I really love the Rio Grande Texas in my Carvin H2. That's a sweet-sounding neck pickup and they come with 4-conductor wiring. I also really like the Alnico II Pro: I think it works better with the JB than the 59, but that's just my opinion.

You might want to get in touch with NORCAL_Gtr (Bryan Gunsher of BG Pickups) who's a regular here on the forums. He builds a pretty sweet pickup to your specs. Seth Lovers can't be split.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think I'd need to break the bank on a WCR or anything. I need to find a demo of a 59 on an alder body cause it might be a good combination, lower resonance peak but bright wood (esp with the maple top).

I do think I need to PM Bryan.

Archived