How can I make my strat more warm and full in the neck position?

Kuz929

• Members

Herein lies the quandry....

I've got a G&L legacy deluxe and I absolutely love it. The only thing is that I wish it had a little more warmth and punch in the neck pickup. But, I also LOVE the neck and middle PUP combo for the smooth spank it gets. My question is, can I put in something like hot rails or lace sensors that will make the neck more warm and full but still not lose that strat spank?

• Members

I agree about the tone adjustment. Another thing you can try is investing in a Fulltone Fat Boost. I have a Legacy as well and using the fatboost with my Twin RI really adds a nice low to mid range punch without coloring the guitar's chime.

The amp could also be a factor.. I have found that my Legacy sounds significantly warmer through my Clark amp or Gibson GA 5 ( both have the classic Champ circuit and are just 5 watts) and my Gibson GA 40 (has an old Ampeg voicing in one channel and more of a British voicing in another). At the same time, when played through my Blackface Fenders (Twin & Princeton Recording), I find that I rely on the Fatboost or even a compressor.

Also, this may sound silly, but volume could be a factor. Thinness doesn't seem to be a problem when playing my Twin or Princeton in higher volumes. In fact, the Legacy really shines here - you get to really appreciate the complexity of the guitar's tone in the 4-6 range (in the princeton) and the >2 levels in the Twin.

• Members

Its not the tone knob or my amp... I know how to play with all those things, and I'm talking about all of this assuming gig-level volume. and getting a new guitar is out of the question- I like how the G&L plays way to much to part with it.

I'm a little interested in this "S90" pickup. Will it still keep a smoother spank when used with the middle pup? I guess thats my biggest concern, but maybe it has to be a choice: smooth spank with a thin neck pup, or a thick neck pup and sacrifice that 4th position.

• Members
Replace the current magnet with an Alnico III or II

Imma letcha finish, but you're a {censored}in' tard.

You CAN'T change the magnet in a single coil. It is an integral part of the structure of the pickup. Unless it's like, uber cheapo ceramic, in which case you might be able to. :mad::mad::mad:

• Members
I agree about the tone adjustment. Another thing you can try is investing in a Fulltone Fat Boost. I have a Legacy as well and using the fatboost with my Twin RI really adds a nice low to mid range punch without coloring the guitar's chime.

This is a great idea - should have thought of this, since I often use a boost in front of my amp with a Strat too. A clean boost can really muscle up the tone. Just more everything while very transparent. I've got one made my forumite NOS68 that is really cool (switchable germanium, silicon, and MOSFET boosts), the Fuchs Pure Gain is also a killer one. I'm sure the Fulltone is very good as well, as is just about everything they make :thu:

• Members
...You CAN'T change the magnet in a single coil. It is an integral part of the structure of the pickup. Unless it's like, uber cheapo ceramic, in which case you might be able to.
:mad:

Classic Strat pups have internal magnets. Ceramic magnet Strat pups have external magnets. However, ceramic magnets are not ONLY found on cheap pickups. There's plenty of high end, high output ceramic magnet pups.

S-ST-SP43_1web400.jpg

Bridge pup = Fralin Steel Pole 43 (SP43)
FenderStratPupCloseup.jpg

• Members
Classic Strat pups have internal magnets. Ceramic magnet Strat pups have external magnets. However, cermaic magnets are not ONLY found on cheap pickups. There's plenty of high end, high output ceramic magnet pups.

S-ST-SP43_1web400.jpg

Bridge pup = Fralin Steel Pole 43 (SP43)

FenderStratPupCloseup.jpg

Disregard me.

Archived