To sell or not to sell... That is the question (Gibson content)

vcnyls

• Members

It could be yours, you know...
:)

My wife just bought a new Kirby vacuum cleaner (somewhere north of $1k) so I somehow don't think I'll be doing that just now! :mad:

Also, being north of 50, I somehow don't I could quite pull off wearing an Explorer. :facepalm:

• Members

I'll provide a different perspective. I've had lots of guitars that fall into the "whenever I play it, I like it" category, and I do NOT think that that phenomenon (by itself) means you should keep it.

I had an Epiphone Sheraton that was a really nice guitar, but it tended to sit in its case. A few times a year, I'd think, wow, I should play that Sheraton more often, and I'd pull it out and play it, and think to myself, "Wow, this is a really nice guitar." But then it would go back into its case, until the next time a few months later when I thought, "Wow, I should play that Sheraton more often." I finally recognized this pattern, and when I needed some money I put it up for sale. I was worried that I'd have regrets, since it had some nostalgic value, but that was a year and a half ago and I have not missed it at all. I'm sure if I still had it I would pull it out a few times a year and play it and think what a nice guitar it was, but there's not some big empty void in my life because it's gone.

Hopefully, as a player you get to a point where you can tell good guitars from bad guitars. At that point, ALL your guitars should be good guitars, guitars you like. That certainly doesn't mean you should never sell another guitar! If you have a guitar you absolutely love, by all means keep it. If you have a guitar you need to cover something you play in a band, well, you probably shouldn't sell that unless you can immediately replace it with a new guitar that will do the same thing. But if you have a nice guitar---a guitar you like when you play it---but you just haven't bonded with it and/or you'd really prefer to have something else, why not sell it?

In fact, I'd say all the people oohing and aahing over it in this thread just indicate that it's a popular guitar and you'll probably be able to sell it for a good price without too many headaches. All these guys who claim they'd never sell it---hey, this is their chance to buy one! Bonus for you! Also, don't get too caught up in the "don't sell it in this economy" business. I don't want to be too conspiracy-theory, but there's enough uncertainty out there that there's no guarantee that things are going to get better anytime soon. If you can sell the guitar at a good price (indeed, at a profit!), don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

• Members

I'll provide a different perspective. I've had lots of guitars that fall into the "whenever I play it, I like it" category, and I do NOT think that that phenomenon (by itself) means you should keep it.

I had an Epiphone Sheraton that was a really nice guitar, but it tended to sit in its case. A few times a year, I'd think, wow, I should play that Sheraton more often, and I'd pull it out and play it, and think to myself, "Wow, this is a really nice guitar." But then it would go back into its case, until the next time a few months later when I thought, "Wow, I should play that Sheraton more often." I finally recognized this pattern, and when I needed some money I put it up for sale. I was worried that I'd have regrets, since it had some nostalgic value, but that was a year and a half ago and I have not missed it at all. I'm sure if I still had it I would pull it out a few times a year and play it and think what a nice guitar it was, but there's not some big empty void in my life because it's gone.

Hopefully, as a player you get to a point where you can tell good guitars from bad guitars. At that point, ALL your guitars should be good guitars, guitars you like. That certainly doesn't mean you should never sell another guitar! If you have a guitar you absolutely love, by all means keep it. If you have a guitar you need to cover something you play in a band, well, you probably shouldn't sell that unless you can immediately replace it with a new guitar that will do the same thing. But if you have a nice guitar---a guitar you like when you play it---but you just haven't bonded with it and/or you'd really prefer to have something else, why not sell it?

In fact, I'd say all the people oohing and aahing over it in this thread just indicate that it's a popular guitar and you'll probably be able to sell it for a good price without too many headaches. All these guys who claim they'd never sell it---hey,
this is their chance to buy one!
Bonus for you! Also, don't get too caught up in the "don't sell it in this economy" business. I don't want to be too conspiracy-theory, but there's enough uncertainty out there that there's no guarantee that things are going to get better anytime soon. If you can sell the guitar at a good price (indeed, at a profit!), don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Very good points... I'm honestly sitting right in the middle here and not sure how to proceed. It's up in the spam thread and if someone offers me the right thing (a LP Custom would do it or a really nice Standard) I'd do the deal. If not, it's nice to know that there are people interested. In the mean time, I'll keep playing it more.