To sell or not to sell... That is the question (Gibson content)

vcnyls

• Members

So I was surfing Ebay the other day and found that someone was selling the same Explorer I have (Guitar of the Week #43 Explorer w/short vibrola). I watched the auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300370231451&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) and it ended at $1902.99! I bought mine for a great deal of $1200. So now I'm on the fence about selling it... I don't play it too often but like it a lot when I do play...

If I sell, I'd seriously consider getting either a used standard Gibson Explorer in natural color or a used Gibson SG Standard in nautral burst or black.

I do like playing it when I pick it up. Will it continue going up in value...

Thoughts? Should I sell?

• Members

Well, you have to really ask yourself what you'll be happier with and put more use into.

The Explorer now, or another guitar plus cash.

If you know the guitar you'd get after selling the Explorer would give you more joy than the Explorer itself, I say sell it.

• Members

i've been sorry i ever sold any guitar

who says you'll get that kinda money, anyways

The reserved price says it.

To the OP, the options would be to hold on and hope prices keep increasing or sell and lock in the profit. I expect it won't drop in value over time.

There are very few emotion reasons to hold onto any guitar. If you want to sell, sell. They'll keep making guitars you'll want in the future as well. To hoard stuff is just a waste of money and space.

I don't collect guitars, I play them. They are tools to be bought sold, and replaced. Band demands and personal preferences change and dictate what tools you need to go forward with.

• Members

Write up a good description, take great pics, and put it on Ebay with a Buy It Now of $1950.00 + shipping and/or Best Offer.

See what happens. If it doesn't go for that price, you're only out a few bucks for the listing.

As long as there's no emotional attachment to it, I think the above adivce is the best course of action. You either end up with a sweet profit and money to burn on a new purchase, or you're left with a guitar that you love and are no worse off sans a few dollars for the auction.

• Members

Anyone who followed my "I must be nuts" thread knows I just went through the same thing. You should keep it, for two reasons:

1) you said, "I like it a lot when I do play"

2) you said, "I do like playing it when I pick it up"

Why get a used Standard anything, when you have a more unique guitar that you know you like?

• Members

Anyone who followed my "I must be nuts" thread knows I just went through the same thing. You should keep it, for two reasons:

1) you said, "I like it a lot
when
I do play"

2) you said, "I do like playing it
when
I pick it up"

Why get a used Standard anything, when you have a more unique guitar that you know you like?

This is what stood out to me.

It says, "it's a good guitar and plays well, but it's not a guitar I reach for and I won't miss it when it's gone."

• Members

This is what stood out to me.

It says, "it's a good guitar and plays well, but it's not a guitar I reach for and I won't miss it when it's gone."

I guess that's the question the OP has to answer - would he miss it when it's gone.

Of course, this might depend on how much he likes what he replaces it with. I missed my Strat until I got my 339, but I haven't thought about it since.

OTOH, I once replaced a Tele with a Godin, and regret it to this day.

• Members

I'll only sell a guitar if I don't like it, I really have to have something against a guitar to get rid of it. I've found over the years (about 40 years of playing and buying guitars) that a lot of them come around again and I start really getting into them after years of neglect.

I've been playing my first good guitar a lot lately, it's a '69 SG. If you got a good deal on a somewhat oddball Gibson, you are better off keeping it. If it's going for nearly two grand in the middle of this major recession, the value might go even higher when the economy picks up (if it ever picks up that is).