This looks like a cool gadget for those who mic their amps - On Sale

GAS Man

• Members

My guitar teacher used to mic his amp, but he just strung the lead through the handle and let it hang. Why do people mic their amps? Never understood why he did it.

2 reasons

1) to record

2) into a PA system so you can reinforce and add more EQ to the tone.

I don't do either, but maybe someday. But most likely just for recording for me. I've got bigger amps I'd use if I want "bigger" and no room left in the house for a PA system.

• Members

My guitar teacher used to mic his amp, but he just strung the lead through the handle and let it hang. Why do people mic their amps? Never understood why he did it.

I play in a church band and always have to mic mine to get a proper balance in the mix. Not that it needs more volume. I wish I didn't have to.

• Members

Because the only way to a professional mix in a live situation is to mic up EVERYTHING! you have to have full control of the entire mix.

• Members

To record I just run a jack to jack cable from my amp headphone line-out into my PC's mic socket. Works quite well.

it works, because you are using a modeling amp.

or an amp with speaker emulation on its line outs.

both possibilities are inferior to sticking a mic in front of a speaker & finding the sweet spot. I've tried many, many ways to do direct - live and in the studio - used speaker sims, digital models, IR responses...

nothing sounds as good as a mic in front of a speaker.

• Members

it works, because you are using a modeling amp.

or an amp with speaker emulation on its line outs.

both possibilities are inferior to sticking a mic in front of a speaker & finding the sweet spot. I've tried many, many ways to do direct - live and in the studio - used speaker sims, digital models, IR responses...

nothing sounds as good as a mic in front of a speaker.

Fair play, I'll bear it that in mind. As money is tight (unemployed engineering student, it happens...) I'll have to stick with TOTALLY LEGALLY ACQUIRED Adobe Audition 3 and an mp3 320kb/s conversion program :rolleyes:

Archived