Blues Jr Tweed

mnewb1

• Members

The NOS Tweed version IMO sounds a good bit better than the regular Blues Jr. but having played both side by side...if you can afford a Deluxe Reverb RI, pull the trigger on that instead. Everything the NOS BJ can do, the DRRI can do better.

I agree that the Deluxe Reverb is quite a bit better, but the Blues Junior has more of a "bluesy" tone & the DRRI is more classic Fender tone, surfy, if you will.

But with a OD pedal, I'm sure I'd concur with the comment above.

But I am a bit disappointed with the BJ. It doesn't have the depth or bottom end I had expected. I actually like my Pro Junior more. I think possibly part of the disappointment with the BJ is the "upgraded" Jensen speaker. I've talked with the folks at Weber and they say the hands down recommendation for upgrading that amp is their ceramic 12F150 for more depth, bottom end and warmth. I mean, I hate to toss an upgrade speaker and a big part of the reason the NOS costs more (that and the tweed tolex) but I want more depth and resonance from the tone. OTH, the BJ is a better match with a humbucker or semi-hollow electric than a lot of Fender amps. Because it's a bit more shallow sounding, it doesn't get muddy or flabby sounding when you slam something like an Epi Sheraton in its face.

So a mixed review from me, but it's worth checking out. Oh, and also, folks do often pick on the BJ's OD tone, and I'd concur that it is harsher than some other Fender amps, but where it does seem to hold its own is in the bluesy-just on the edge of breakup-type of tone. If you want a harder classic rock tone, I think there are better choices out there.

• Members

OTH, the BJ is a better match with a humbucker or semi-hollow electric than a lot of Fender amps. Because it's a bit more shallow sounding, it doesn't get muddy or flabby sounding when you slam something like an Epi Sheraton in its face.

Agreed. The DRRI I had was a little too boomy and flabby in the bass with my Sheraton. I find my BJr a little harsh in the high treble range. Would the Weber you mentioned take that edge off as well as fill out the bass a little more?

• Members

The NOS Tweed version IMO sounds a good bit better than the regular Blues Jr. but having played both side by side...if you can afford a Deluxe Reverb RI, pull the trigger on that instead. Everything the NOS BJ can do, the DRRI can do better.

Would have done that, and will in a few years, but I'm a broke law student for the time being.

• Members

Agreed. The DRRI I had was a little too boomy and flabby in the bass with my Sheraton. I find my BJr a little harsh in the high treble range. Would the Weber you mentioned take that edge off as well as fill out the bass a little more?

It might but I don't know.

This is the reply I got from Weber when I expressed my dismay.

"The overwhelming choice for the blues junior is our version of the original C12N (nothing like the one you have), which is our 12F150 (25w, light dope).

I think you will really enjoy the excellent low end on the speaker and the overall warmth of the tone.

Thanks!

C.J. Sutton

design / maintenance

Weber Speakers

www.tedweber.com

www.webervst.com/design

Carrying on in the tradition of Ted Weber"

• Members

Thinking about picking up a tweed blues Jr for Jams. I need to get out of the basement and play with others and taking a head and a speaker cabinet as well as the guitar seems a bit much.

Good idea. I used to jam with a friend and we each just used out Blues Jr.s. Definitely was loud enough.

• Members

Doc oc: you're right.

Do you both really think so?

$900 for a Princeton Reissue which is a 10"

Versus $500 for a black tolex (if we're sticking with similar cosmetics - otherwise $580 for tweed) for a 12"

That leaves you with $400 for one sweet speaker upgrade, some tube fiddlin money and a reverb or delay as well.

But I haven't heard the Princeton.

:idk:

• Members

Do you both really think so?

$900 for a Princeton Reissue which is a 10"

Versus $500 for a black tolex (if we're sticking with similar cosmetics - otherwise $580 for tweed) for a 12"

That leaves you with $400 for one sweet speaker upgrade, some tube fiddlin money and a reverb or delay as well.

But I haven't heard the Princeton.

:idk:

You should buy with your ears. :-D

Speaker and tube update are unnecessary with the PRRI (or at least the ones I tried were decent). These things are kind of overrated on the internet, I guess.

10' for BF or 12' for a boxy sound?

I also like the tweed cosmetics, Fender knows how to catch us. I'm not saying the Blues Jr. is a bad amp, only it could have been designed/manufactured better.

Archived