My guitar with emg sound to muddy (Schecter Hellraiser)

Executorg

• Members

Hi.

Bought recently Schecter Solo-6 Hellraiser and it's sounded too muddy.

Here is DI track:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1021951/s-6_clean.mp3

This may be due to poor electronics?

I solder bridge 81TW directly to output jack - no changes. So it is not pot's and switch. What else? Change output jack or is it useless?

I puzzled, because C-1 Hellraiser with same specs, which I tried on the same equipment, sounded bright and cool.

• Members

Try playing with the pickups height. If i remember correctly, you lower them if theyre sounding too muddy, but try both ways.

Other than that, you could try the 18v mod. I hear it does wonders for EMGs, search for it.

• Members

How long did it take before you decided it sounded too muddy? Are you still within the timeframe for returning the guitar for an exchange based on defective pups? You can also contact emg directly thru their email, tell them about your findings. They'll prob offer to exchange the pups themself.

If the emg's in yours have adjustable pole peices, try raising those 1-2 full turns each.

• Members

I bought a guitar abroad through a private seller (he sent me a guitar from the USA).

And unfortunately the return is not possible.

I contact emg support, but they said that the guitar the same series with similar specs can sound differently and in this whole affair. I think so differently they should not be sounds, but that support's final position.

EMG customer support was correct. Sorry, but this is true. Regardless of what anyone on here will tell you, every single specific guitar will sound different. Even guitars of the same model. Many people have this weird thing about refusing to believe it, but it's just how it is. Your best bet is to actually play and compare guitars at a store, and pick the one you like best.

• Members

You may just have an issue with EMG's. The same thing happens when I play with them, even though there may be nothing wrong with the PU's. Maybe just sell the guitar or change PU's. The advantage to selling it is you can advertise that you have done the 18V mod.

• Members

Somehow people got the idea that "all guitars sound the same with EMG's" (not saying anyone in this thread but it seems all the local guys I talk to have this belief) .. I remember being told this countless times by "experts". I have 4 guitars with EMGs and the tonal difference is huge, maybe not as much as passives but there is a big difference.

The Schecter Hellraisers to me have always had a really dark tone, some people might think of it as "muddy". Awesome for leads tho

• Members

EMG customer support was correct. Sorry, but this is true. Regardless of what anyone on here will tell you, every single specific guitar will sound different. Even guitars of the same model. Many people have this weird thing about refusing to believe it, but it's just how it is. Your best bet is to actually play and compare guitars at a store, and pick the one you like best.

+1

• Members

Try playing with the pickups height. If i remember correctly, you lower them if theyre sounding too muddy, but try both ways.

Not with EMGs. You keep them as close to the strings as you can get them--they don't exert pull on the strings like passives do.

Question for the OP: this is the bridge pickup, you say? What is the neck pickup and what does it sound like? Also, if the bridge is an 81TW, what does it sound like when split? Also, tell us about your amp and the settings on it.

• Members

Question for the OP: this is the bridge pickup, you say? What is the neck pickup and what does it sound like? Also, if the bridge is an 81TW, what does it sound like when split? Also, tell us about your amp and the settings on it.

Now brige pickup conect directly to output jack, I will try to swap them, then record DI track.

So now I can't record how sounds pickup when split.

I tried the guitar on different amps with different settings, but everywhere it sounds muddy. Guitar even on DI track sounds muddy.

And one more thing that I noticed few day ago in studio.

Guitar suddenly started to sound quieter, and after a 10 minutes - again normally

Bridge pickup was solder directly to output jack (so problem it is not in pots and switch).

Here's a screenshot from Cubase (first is normal sound, second is "problem" sound):

cub.jpg

I totally don't understand, because of what this could happen.

• Members

Not with EMGs. You keep them as close to the strings as you can get them--they don't exert pull on the strings like passives do.

That doesn't mean they won't sound muddy if they're very close to the strings. It just means you won't get nearly as much tendency for "note warble" or problems with intonation. Pickup height always has to be considered for what the player considers his optimal sound.

• Members

I'll tell you this. My C-1 Classic is an extrememly dark sounding guitar. Kinda insane for a neck-thru, if you ask me. Mine, of course, doesn't have the EMGs but I have played a few other Schecters that I thought were "dark" sounding. SO, it might have something to do with the wood selections that the factory uses. Who knows....

Archived