Do you think guitars make people more interesting?

Jables66

• Members

I ask because every time I go to see the missus I tend to take my guitar and since I don't have a case anymore (I used to use a 3/4 size acoustic PVC case to carry my Strat around, but the Strat decided to tear it to pieces) I just sling the strap over my neck and walk with it. Because I have to walk through a densly populated area to get to my partners house, I'm seen by alot of people. Now, what confuses me is why do these people feel that they need to talk to me? I've had all manner of questions, ranging from fair to incredibly stupid. Examples would be "Hey buddy, could you spare a quid?" as a fair question (I gave him the money because he was nice) and "Is that your guitar?" or "Why have you got a guitar?" as stupid questions. There are more, which I could list and probably will, but does having a guitar make me seem more approachable? Why does my public interest change just because I have one?

For laughs, I'll include my answers to stupid questions:

-"Is that your guitar?"

-"No, I just snatched it"

-"Why do you have a guitar?"

-"Because I'm gonna play it when I get where I'm going?"

-"Do you play?"

-"Nah, it's just for show."

-"What have you got that for?"

-"Self defence and seduction, in that order"

-"Are you good?"

-"Why do you care? You're never going to see me again."

-"Can you play something for us?"

-"I don't do free shows"

-"How many songs do you know?"

-"Seriously, you want me to go through them all?"

-"How many chords can you play?"

-"Just look at this guitar. You really think a newbie would own this?"

-"Can I borrow a cigarette?"

-"Only if you bring it back"

Not a word of a lie, all this was actually said.

Apologies for the long post, but it just came across my mind and I thought it'd create some chuckles.

• Members

umm...gig bag???

just a suggestion....unless of course.....you're amused by the clueless
:wave:

I am amused by the clueless, but theres only so much retardedness from the general public I can take. As for a gigbag, I've asked for one for christmas. I've got a hard case (not a bad one, at that. Locking thing with velvet lining, made from ABS that can withstand 80kg) but it's just too big to take on the bus and it's hard to carry around for a long time. I like hanging the guitar on my back and just walking along, keeps my hands free to roll cigarettes or get money from my wallet.

• Members

I will not go out in public streets like that. I think that's just asking for trouble.

There's a lot of mental illness out there.

I live in the UK, where everyone is as nuts as everyone else. Actually, I think I'm more dangerous than they are. I'm incredibly paranoid and a little psychotic. It seems logical that a

• Members

I wonder if the same thing would happen if you were carrying an accordian, or a ukulele, or if you were wearing an eye-patch or a shiny white glove?

You raise an interesting point. Perhaps people feel the need to enquire as to why one has something that makes them different from the crowd?

• Members

No. They usually make people pricks. See OP.

Also, take me as an example. I used to be a really nice guy. But now I'm making fun of your post. See, I'm a prick too. We're all pricks. Even the chicks here are pricks. It's one never ending prick-fest.

• Members

No. They usually make people pricks. See OP.

Also, take me as an example. I used to be a really nice guy. But now I'm making fun of your post. See, I'm a prick too. We're all pricks. Even the chicks here are pricks. It's one never ending prick-fest.

I.... Can't disagree.

EDIT: Though I guess as we're all pricks, we get along because we have common ground. Non-guitarists seem like lesser humans to us.

• Members

You raise an interesting point. Perhaps people feel the need to enquire as to why one has something that makes them different from the crowd?

I have to agree. Also I think guitars are quite mysterious to people that don't actually play them.

• Members

I have to agree. Also I think guitars are quite mysterious to people that don't actually play them.

It's quite hard to take an empathetic perspective on it, but I suppose they are. At the same time, however, the uninitiated might think guitars themselves are quite simple, but it's the ability to play it that baffles them.

• Members

I actually think that playing guitar makes me feel like everyone else...

Every freaking guy in highschool with long hair has a guitar... I'm almost ashamed to admit to owning guitars because I feel like it's become so cliche. Most teens here aren't even about the music.

The only time I really talk about guitars with anyone is with a adult (whether it be my step dad, a member in his band, or a person at a sam ash)

• Members

More asking for trouble in the UK, although you may think it's 'cool' at the moment I guarantee it will eventually get snatched from you.

I wouldn't question / talk to someone if they were were walking around with a guitar with no bag but I would think wtf.

Archived