pickup decision

silverring233

• Members

just wondering if i should leave the stock pickups in my epi goth explorer. they are a hb6n & hot hb8b.

i've got a set of duncan designed hb103's i could throw in it.

it seems as thought the stock pups are somewhat muddy unless i keep the treble cranked on my amp. and then they're too brittle.

so, keep the stock pups, put the DD's in, or go with something else.

keep in mind, i am on a VERY limited budget

• Members

I bet if you swapped out the pots for some good ones it would help the stock pups a lot

what overall flavor are you wanting?

I'd go ahead and try the DDs, it's free since you got 'em - I've got an HB102 in my V and it is awesome, and in no danger of being replaced by some of the big shot pups I got in my parts box

• Members

i really don't know. i should have thought of that too. i'll have to look in the parts box to see what pots and caps i have......if any.

i gave alot of {censored} away in the free stuff thread.

See what you have. A lot of guitars with humbuckers come with .047 mFd capacitors and I find them far too muddy and your tons control only makes it worse. I like .022mFd capacitors on most humbuckers and you could even go down to a .015 mFd, though that might be too trebly for some vintage wound (and thus brighter) pickups.

• Members

I think on that guitar, if it's wired correctly, with either of the volumes all the way down on the middle position, there should be zero sound out of the guitar.

If you have the Duncan Designed pickups right there and can solder, try them out! It's free. If you feel that the guitar is muddy overall, I'd try putting in lower value caps like .022s. Again, it's awfully cheap to try, so why not.

• Members

I bet if you swapped out the pots for some good ones it would help the stock pups a lot

what overall flavor are you wanting?

I'd go ahead and try the DDs, it's free since you got 'em - I've got an HB102 in my V and it is awesome, and in no danger of being replaced by some of the big shot pups I got in my parts box

+1

Def' would check out the pots first. Generally speaking the higher the value the brighter.

• Members

Do you think this could help the pickups on my Washburn? My volume is pretty scratchy anyway, it's just I'm thinking of swapping my stock bridge humbucker for a DiMarzio SD. As with all my guitars, the awesomeness of the sound seems to increase with the volume.

• Members

switch in middle position 1 vol down, 1vol up, there is sound. i think i will try a new cap and the DD's. like you said, it's free

so i'd need 500k if it has 250k?

If you want it brighter yes. My Explorer came with 300K's for stock volumes and was very dark sounding. Putting in 500K's really opened up the tones for the better.

• Members

ok.

other than the fact that i'm a dumbass, i found nothing wrong with the pups in this guitar except how i was hooking my "amp" up.

i play through a digitech rp350. usually i hook it into my fender g-dec amp, then to my squier PA. well, if i hook directly to the amp then cab, no problem. same situation when i hook directly to the PA and cab, no problems.

i went through almost all of practice today before i had this epihany :facepalm:.

after i went straight from the rp to the PA, the explorer sounded just exactly as it should have. as nasty as i needed it to be, and as clean as i needed it to be.

thanks to all who replied here! some really informative and useful comments

Archived