I'm not leaving.

golias

• Members

Can we get a link or screenshots? I see that it is in beta but I don't even know how to get into it or if it is still open.

Okay, found screenshots at the header link on the main page. Still not as good as seeing it in action.

OK, Here's what the main page looks like. Try this link, and click on the threads:

http://harmonycentral.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/guitars/forums/electric_guitars;jsessionid=DF5686A85E5E953419EABB141A45CD24.node0

• Members

The beta thread has a lot of truly contsructive criticsm from a lot of people in the know. I think we are all blowing this out of proportion. Until it goes live and I have a chance to navigate it myself I am not about to make any conclusions. Merry day after Xmas.

• Members

OK, Here's what the main page looks like. Try this link, and click on the threads:

http://harmonycentral.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/guitars/forums/electric_guitars;jsessionid=DF5686A85E5E953419EABB141A45CD24.node0

Thanks for the link to the actual forum. :)

Hmmmm... I have to agree about the width limitation affecting readability of topics. Better to have variable width to expand to window size. Definitely do NOT like the forum post response hierarchy. By the tenth response, you have (as already noted):

I

l

o

v

e

t

h

i

s

f

o

r

u

m

n

o

t

Not good.

• Members

The beta thread has a lot of truly contsructive criticsm from a lot of people in the know. I think we are all blowing this out of proportion. Until it goes live and I have a chance to navigate it myself I am not about to make any conclusions. Merry day after Xmas.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Probably a much better place to how the complaints are being addressed.

Edit: For example, from that thread:

For example, in a previous thread there were comments about the center column being too narrow, and the Nav bar on the left being unnecessary. So, we've already agreed with the comments about the center column being too narrow, and expect to have the Nav bar replaced with an alternate, less-space-hogging method of navigation within 30 days of the launch. Which would leave more room in the middle. Which is the direct result of specific criticisms we've received.

• Members

This is not a specific like/dislike, so here it is. It bothers me that *everyone* who uses the forums all noticed the glaring layout problem in about 2 seconds. Why didn't the folks at HC who update the site notice this *months* ago?

The site redesign is probably 100% appropriate for the people who use everything but the forums. The forums really do need security (so that our accounts don't get hacked again), working search, and to cure whatever headaches they have on the backend (why does it go down for maintenance all the time?).

It's clear that they want to get free of vBulletin, but if they screw up the transition they're at great risk of losing a good chunk out of the 200k registered forumites. I suppose that if they lose half of the daily contributors and gain a few more new ones they'll consider it was worth doing.

I'll be sad to see the old site go.

• Members

There are a lot of bad things about it. I assume the narrow text will be addressed though.

I think avatars are important part of this forum.

It gives more personality to the whole experience.

It is a visual medium after all.

Those tiny avatars on the new forum are way bad and I hope others will lobby in The Official "Specific Likes/Dislikes" Thread to have current 150 x 150 size transfered to the new forum.

Normal text and avatars will go a long way towards making it feel like home!

• Members

Remember a couple of years back when a lot of banning was going on especially on the Amp forum?

Well just that little rift at that time helped too propel rig-talk.com from obscure too pretty well known.

So if that many folks migrated over there because of simple bannings then what do you think the numbers will be when HC goes 2.0 as shown in the beta thread?

I think the HC crew ought too rethink their options here before they loose a few thousand posts a day.

• Members

I had no idea that HC 2.0 was going to change so drastically but I agree, if this is going to be the HC forums after the switch, I'll be moving on to more readable pastures. I bought a widescreen monitor for a reason and I don't intend to have it neutered by this forum 'upgrade'.

Archived