Strat Clip + TonePort

jhall

• Members

This is an attempt to get my vids to sound better than the mic on my cheapie-cam. So I recorded this in reaper while videoing it. I then used Acid to sync it up and movieMaker to trim the useless parts. Did it work?

Or does it still sound like ass?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Seriously, what are your settings on this?

Thank you for that. I used the Bogner Uber model V-30s cab SN57 on axis with 20% room. With the drive at 2/3 bass 2/3, Mid 3/4, Treb 2/3+, Presence 3/4+, Tube Screamer Gain 3/4+, Drive nearly all the way down and tone the same. A bit of digital delay and medium room reverb at about 60%. Noise gate at about 1/3 thresh and 1/4 decay. This can sound a bit icepickey in the room with studio moniters so you can use the high control to taste and pickup. That Strat I used has a Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge which I find a bit dark so I over compensate with the treb and presence. It luckily works well in this mix but is usually a bit bright in most other cases.

• Members

Sounds great! I have always felt working with modelers to record is sort of an interesting issue - because often modelers can produce good sounding results FAST. But on the flip side, *my* personal tone is the tone I get through playing my amps everyday, not a modeler or amp sim. And the feel is definitely different playing through them.

I guess some of it boils down to whether you are looking to get a specific result with relative ease of use (and less cost!) or if you're looking to capture your signature tone. Different tools for different goals.

• Members

VERY nice playing. wow. And I was paying attention your trem work as I try to get a hang of that thing (TOTALLY new to trems).

Jhall, I want to get into youtube posting big time and I bought a camcorder on line and it has a s****y mic so i must sync vid and audio. Can you tell me more about how you sync them (tips? program?). thanks!

• Members

VERY nice playing. wow. And I was paying attention your trem work as I try to get a hang of that thing (TOTALLY new to trems).

Jhall, I want to get into youtube posting big time and I bought a camcorder on line and it has a s****y mic so i must sync vid and audio. Can you tell me more about how you sync them (tips? program?). thanks!

It's kind of cumbersome but doable. What I did is have Reaper recording it while I played and had the camera running. Then I listened back to the audio that the camera took (obviously less quality than I'd like). I then opened the video file in Sony Acid Studio (there may be a free program that does this but this is the one I used it is version6 and I think version 7 may be better for this). Acid is cool because it automatically puts the video and audio on seperate tracks. I then imported the song as an mp3 file and just slid the mp3 around untill it lined up properly with the audio track from the vid. After they were lined up I rendered it to AVI (this is a very larg file of nearly 2 gigs) with the audio track from the vid muted effectively removing

it from the new AVI. I then open windows Movie Maker and import the AVI into that. Then I trim off the ends that I dont want to be on the published movie. Then I use the Publish to this computer option. This renders it down to a WMV file suitable for upload to youtube. If I'm happy with the result, I delete all the files that a created to make the vid and call it a project ( I do this because I don't want to end up with tons of unneeded very large AVI files floating around on my computer).

It sounds like a lot of steps but as I do it more it gets easier to do. I hav a WAY WAY better video editing programe on an older computer but I have no idea where it is and now just to this.

• Members
It's kind of cumbersome but doable. What I did is have Reaper recording it while I played and had the camera running. Then I listened back to the audio that the camera took (obviously less quality than I'd like). I then opened the video file in Sony Acid Studio (there may be a free program that does this but this is the one I used it is version6 and I think version 7 may be better for this). Acid is cool because it automatically puts the video and audio on seperate tracks. I then imported the song as an mp3 file and just slid the mp3 around untill it lined up properly with the audio track from the vid. After they were lined up I rendered it to AVI (this is a very larg file of nearly 2 gigs) with the audio track from the vid muted effectively removing

it from the new AVI. I then open windows Movie Maker and import the AVI into that. Then I trim off the ends that I dont want to be on the published movie. Then I use the Publish to this computer option. This renders it down to a WMV file suitable for upload to youtube. If I'm happy with the result, I delete all the files that a created to make the vid and call it a project ( I do this because I don't want to end up with tons of unneeded very large AVI files floating around on my computer).

It sounds like a lot of steps but as I do it more it gets easier to do. I hav a WAY WAY better video editing programe on an older computer but I have no idea where it is and now just to this.

Thanks! :thu:

• Members

Sounds good. I recently got a Toneport, as well, and it sure is better than my computer sound card... Why not just record direct to Acid, instead of Reason? That's what I have been doing...

I find Acid to not like My asio drivers so much. Reaper is an excellent DAW and runs circles around Acid for all things audio

• Members
Another question about recording separate audio and vid: do you use some kind of a "clapper" so you know the precise point where to sync them?

No, I'm not that smart :lol: That is certainly an option though that may be called for on other films. I usually can use the snapping function to sync stuff up. As long as you know the bpm speed of your recording and you have reasonably good rythm you can use this method and avoid a lot of trial and error.
In the case of something not recorded to a click track it would be pretty much essential to do the Clap trick. Generally if your'e recording over a professional studio recording you can use the snapping function as they are generally recorded to a click track. If it's a home-brew with none it's a bit more of a challenge

• Members

OK, Thanks. I just started to learn how to use Reason, so I think I'll give it a try today. It seems like a powerful program.

I'm using Reaper not Reason. As I remember Reason it was a MIDI workstation. Mabye the newer versions have Audio capability?

Sure is one of the better MIDI stations out there though and it gets a ton of use by the skilled Pro Tools crowd.

• Members

I may do this again with my 50th anniv. Ltd edition american series Strat to see the tonal differences. I'd need to change the EQ a little to allow for the Single coil CS/54 bridge pickup. I'm assuming Mr. Gilmour Used hid DiMarzios in those days and they were probably a tad hotter and threrefore a little less icepickey. But I don't know.

• Members

Oops, I edited my post... I meant Reaper!

I always mouth out a one two three four to the camera, while I strike the guitar at the same time, at a certain point, along with the click track... It makes it easy to see yourself both hitting the for intro beats and saying them, as well, even without a mic...

The rest is easy...

Archived