Mini humbucker for Strat

KightTemplar

• Members

Currently I have my eyes on a MIJ Strat(maple neck+board and alder body) and if I buy it I am gonna put a mini humbucker, so I can have a fuller and warmer tone for classic rock, instrumentals (Think Eric Johnson), and some prog(Pink Floyd, Marillion), but not too aggressive. I am looking for Duncans and Dimarzios. What do you guys recommend?

• Members

Well, I would suggest Lace sensors. Just 'cause the only strat I've got has em and I love em. I like the hot golds and the reds. Except for the center in the hot golds. Get the silver. But to that end, you might as well go for the blue, silver, red package. They'll be a little cheaper. Never used the blue, though, they say it sounds very similar to the hot golds.

But if you must go with duncans, I've heard good things about the hot rails.

• Members

Currently I have my eyes on a MIJ Strat(maple neck+board and alder body) and if I buy it I am gonna put a mini humbucker, so I can have a fuller and warmer tone for classic rock, instrumentals (Think Eric Johnson), and some prog(Pink Floyd, Marillion), but not too aggressive. I am looking for Duncans and Dimarzios. What do you guys recommend?

The Duncan SM1 mini is very smooth and vintage. Do you plan on using it in the bridge position?

I like the SM3 very much too although it's just a tiny bit more aggressive, not much though and can easily be toned down.

• Members

The Duncan SM1 mini is very smooth and vintage. Do you plan on using it in the bridge position?

I like the SM3 very much too although it's just a tiny bit more aggressive, not much though and can easily be toned down.

Sorry, I was not specific enough. I am thinking on replacing the bridge pickup only.

That guitar overall sounds very sweet, especially when the neck pickup is engaged. So I am not going to replace the neck and middle anytime soon. I just wanna replace the bridge single coil to cut the brightness a bit and add warmth and fullness, if you know what I mean.

So please ignore the complete pick up set for a moment.

• Members

Sorry, I was not specific enough. I am thinking on replacing the bridge pickup only.

That guitar overall sounds very sweet, especially the neck. So I am not going to replace the neck and middle anytime soon. I just wanna replace the bridge single coil to cut the brightness a bit and add warmth and body, if you know what I mean.

So please ignore the complete pick up set for a moment.

Understood.

I'd love to hear a mini in the bridge position but I think you would have to do some routing for it to fit. Perhaps you would prefer something that could be installed with no mods.

I know BG has a single coil P90 you could just drop in and SD has some single coil sized humbuckers?

Archived