Is there a reason why Gib SG Standard is 1/2 price of Gib Les Paul Standard?

stretch_333

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All the people talking about what a good deal guitars are, are right.

I own a pretty run-of-the-mill intermediate-level double horn - cost me $2300. A Conn 8D (the type I played in university for five years) would run me $4000+, and it's a basic "good" horn. My dream horn would cost me at least $10000 and put me on a waiting list of a couple of years.

To put this in perspective, a Squier CV Strat costs a few hundred bucks. And unless you're one of the snobs in the "HAY GUYS U CANT GIG WITH SQUIRES AND EPIPENS" thread, you can gig with it for the rest of your life.

Then again, this might be why most professional musicians who aren't guitarists don't have 10 Conn 8Ds (and certainly none from the dodgy Mexican labour and cost cutting era!).

oh you misunderstand..i never said an lp was a good deal. at one time they were worth the money, but now your only paying for a name and a MADE IN THE USA stamp , nothing else. gibsons are by no means pro quality instruments anymore. if we were actually going on what a new lp std should cost, ild put the new ones in $400-600 range of intermediate guitars.

and i have no idea what conn 8d is. i dont play sax. my buddy is the sax player. he makes a living playing jazz.well actually his wife supports him(lucky bastard). hes always saying that he needs to play guitar because it cheaper and you dont need talent and we make fun of him for driving a powder blue prius . it really pisses him off when we call him kenny

• Members
oh you misunderstand..i never said an lp was a good deal. at one time they were worth the money, but now your only paying for a name and a MADE IN THE USA stamp , nothing else. gibsons are by no means pro quality instruments anymore. if we were actually going on what a new lp std should cost, ild put the new ones in $400-600 range of intermediate guitars.

Wha? :lol:

• Members

But it's not much more than an Epi SG.

Let's stick with SG's and LP's not Affinity's and LP's. The OP was asking why a Gibson LP is twice as much as a Gibson SG.

Yes, USA labor is pricey but let's make a relative comparison using MF's current pricing for Gibson and Epiphone:

USA built Gibson SG Std.= $1199

USA built Gibson LP Std.= $2499

That is roughly a 110% upcharge for the LP.

Chinese built Epi SG Std. = $349

Chinese built Epi LP Std. = $479

That's roughly a 37% upcharge for the LP.

That's comparing 2 guitars using the same workforce and quality of materials. The construction difference is a carved top and binding. Both factories use CNC's for top carving and the binding on an Epi is no better or worse than the binding on a Gibson.

What I was saying is that adding a carved top and binding is not
that
expensive to do. The Chinese seem to be able to do it for a reasonable price.

Yes it's more expensive to build guitars HERE but if China can do it for 37%, USA can too. That Gibson LP std. could be priced at $1642 instead of $2499.

The difference is that they don't have to. People will pay that extra 110%.

don't forget the extra money spent paying an American to drill holes in the LP body

levels the field more, don't it?

• Members

If you compare sustain on the SG to the LP at least above the 12th fret you'll find the LP has about twice as much. So your paying for sustain. double the sustain = double the price + a bit for Les.

of course I'm joking! :D Whilst its true the LP does sustain more above the 12th fret its clearly down to the facts that a LP costs more time and material costs to make...plus there is a price to be paid for having their flagship model - your not getting Gibson Les Paul on the headstock for nothing! You do pay a premium for it! Oh yes you do!:cop:

• Members

There was an interview with the CEO of Gibson where he mentioned that they started selling more guitars as they raised the price. An $875 Gibson just didn't sell as well as a $1600 Gibson. Same guitar, made at the same factory using the same materials.

Folks want the "best" and they use cost as a measuring stick.

THERE IS A FOOL BORN EVERYDAY, I TELL YOU :cry:

• Members

http://247wallst.com/2010/01/05/the-15-most-hated-companies-in-america/

13. " Gibson Guitar is the lowest rated company on the Glassdoor list. Gibson is privately held. The firm is based in Nashville. Gibson got into financial trouble in the early 1980s and was rescued by a group of investors in 1986. Gibson had several layoffs that cut its workforce by about 20% by mid-2009. There have been a number of complaints about the quality of the company

• Members

To put this in perspective, a Squier CV Strat costs a few hundred bucks. And unless you're one of the snobs in the "HAY GUYS U CANT GIG WITH SQUIRES AND EPIPENS" thread, you can gig with it for the rest of your life.

What's the perspective? You can get french horns for few hundred bucks too, so comparing low end guitars with mid-range horns isn't too helpful.

• Members

Gibson are just one example of many companies who pride themselves on selling the "best" and price themselves accordingly.

Do you think Ferrari, Rolls Royce or Lamborghini would have made more money if their cars were considerably cheaper? I'm sure they wouldn't.

It reminds me of a story I heard years ago about the Dorchester hotel in London. A couple of tourists stopped in to have a cup of tea and were staggered by the enormous amount they were charged. When one of them confronted the waiter with "This must be the most expensive cup of tea in London", he received the reply "We hope so sir. We hope so".

Archived