John Mayer teaching Crossroads

orbm1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

More than a little hint of Jeff Beck in his solo feel/tone there!

Absolutely in terms of some of the techniques ... and note the Wilkinson nut on that particular Strat, as per Jeff's personal instruments, rather than the LSR featured on the production JB sig Strats.

That said -- I admired the skills on display, but didn't enjoy the performance that much (I actually preferred what the elderly gent playing slide on the old Epi Wilshire was doing) ... and that tone was pure sludge.

• Members

Absolutely in terms of some of the techniques ... and note the Wilkinson nut on that particular Strat, as per Jeff's personal instruments, rather than the LSR featured on the production JB sig Strats.

That said -- I admired the skills on display, but didn't enjoy the performance that much (I actually preferred what the elderly gent playing slide on the old Epi Wilshire was doing) ... and that tone was pure sludge.

That was a Wilshire, wasn't it? Sounded good.

• Members

Yeah but really its cream, written by Robert Johnson, but its a Cream/Clapton cover.

I know what you're saying tho

What's funny is that I actually watched the second video before the one in the OP and didn't even know that Mayer pointed this out :).

• Members

He explains the reasons behind the sludge in the 1st video.

Oh, the 'elderly gent' is Robbie McIntosh of The Pretenders and Paul McCartney.

• Members

dude is a comedian and possibly the best guitarist alive today

just wish he showed it in his music

great video

Very good guitarist, yes, best guitarist alive today would be a bit of a stretch. And I like John Mayer apart from the fact he sounds like an arrogant dick sometimes.

• Members

He explains the reasons behind the sludge in the 1st video.

Oh, the 'elderly gent' is Robbie McIntosh of The Pretenders and Paul McCartney.

Aha -- well, must confess that thus far I've only watched the performance clip. As for Robbie ... well, none of us are utterly averse to the effects of encroaching oldosity.

EDIT: Okay, just watched it ... he comes across as a nice guy and he can certainly play a bit -- particularly good advice and perceptive commentary in his closing remarks -- but I STILL think there's too much sludge in that tone, particularly for the rhythm parts.

• Members

Wow, what an unoriginal hack who just plays worn-out blues riffs with familiar tones
:facepalm:

Ignorant and erroneous statement; you have obviously judged him without actually listening to his catalog. The last thing I would say about Mayer is that he generally plays worn-out blues riffs.

• Members

Ignorant and erroneous statement; you have obviously judged him without actually listening to his catalog. The last thing I would say about Mayer is that he generally plays worn-out blues riffs.

Sorry, I should have put /sarcasm at the end of that. I was making fun of the people who always say that whenever a John Mayer thread pops up. I own his entire catalog (even Inside Wants Out) and have tremendous respect for his playing and songwriting abilities.

• Members

:blah:
you kids get off my lawn *shakes fist*

I'm 26... :cry:

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!

I was spoonfed Creed and Nickelback when I started playing guitar. If you dont think this is a step up, all the more power to you.

• Members

Aha -- well, must confess that thus far I've only watched the performance clip. As for Robbie ... well, none of us are utterly averse to the effects of encroaching oldosity.

EDIT: Okay, just watched it ... he comes across as a nice guy and he can certainly play a bit -- particularly good advice and perceptive commentary in his closing remarks -- but I STILL think there's too much sludge in that tone, particularly for the rhythm parts.

I actually like the sludge on John Mayer's guitar; could have backed off the gain a hair but it's a cool sound that you don't hear all that often.

But yeah, Robbie McIntosh's playing is frakkin' brilliant; I'm a sucker for P-90 slide tone.

• Members

i don't think there is too much sludge in the tone, for HIM...he stated that that exact sound is what inspired his version of the song. so for him and what he needed to hear to be inspired...it's perfect.

but i do know what you are saying...as a matter of personal preference, it wouldn't be my first choice either.

• Members

I have never been a fan of his personality, and some of his songs are pure pop cheese. But, he established himself as a star by appealing to the teeny boppers, then began to explore other types of music which he's obviously adept at doing. While I don't think he's nearly as soulful as SRV or Clapton, he is a great player, and can emulate pretty much any player he wants to. I think he's still finding his style, and is doing an amazing job bringing blues and funk to a generation who hasn't been exposed to anything but electronically-influenced pop crap. Mayer may be annoying to some, but I don't think anyone should try and diminish his influence on a new generation of guitar players who really had nobody in the mainstream to turn to. He's a good player, writes some very good songs (cheese aside) and has made the electric guitar sexy again

• Members

JM is trying to do two things:

1. be successful as a professional musician

2. be respected as a professional musician

The two don't always coincide. But Mayer's pulling it off. He's living the dream and admired for his musicianship.

He's a helluva player.

• Members

Wether he's a copycat or not, he's bringing the blues to a whole new generation.

And I can respect him for that. Its better than what the teens were playing just a few years ago.

True. But, I'd say Jack White is doing his bit for the blues, too.

• Members

Someone needs to tell John Mayer to stop singing (and writing lyrics).

It's like watching a paraplegic try to swim upstream.

Why? I happen to like some of his lyrics. Have you listened to any of his music other than the singles? What songs have you written?:

Stop this train-

"So scared of getting older

I'm only good at being young

So I play the numbers game to find away to say that life has just begun

Had a talk with my old man

Said help me understand

He said turn 68, you'll renegotiate

Don't stop this train

Don't for a minute change the place you're in

Don't think I couldn't ever understand

I tried my hand

John, honestly we'll never stop this train"

• Members

Okay, I freakin' laughed my ass off at the various intros!
:lol:

Whatever his other sins, John Mayer is a funny guy and he can definitely play guitar. Kudos to him for adding his own stamp to what could otherwise be a pretty dry lesson.

+1

Archived