Pickups for Jazzmaster -

Vespertine

• Members

I've been thinking about changing the stock pups on my jazzmaster, and wanted to get your opinions on it. I've been looking at the SD SH2 & 3 as well as the p90 version they have at lindy fralin. I know they are two very different pickups, but I am not sure which one's the one I need. I'm looking to get a warmer sound out of my jazzmaster as well as getting rid of some of its "icy-pickness". I kinda lean more towards the p90s, but I've heard they tend to be a little noisier that other pickups??? anyone have one of these installed? what other good options are out there?

thanks!

• Members

I never really warmed up to the stock pickups in my JM 62 reissue, but I love the sound of the Lollar Jazzmaster P90s I put in the guitar. I've got it wired up like a Les Paul Junior though, so it is a bit different kind of setup.

The Lollar pickup setup I have is very quiet.

I'm sure the Fralins are a quality pickup. I've mostly heard his Tele pickups and they sound excellent and are very quiet for single coils.

• Members

+1000 on Lollar. He makes a P90 that will fit in a Jazzmaster. You can't go wrong with Jason.

Also, contact Bryan from BG Pups. I think he makes Jazzmaster pups on request, he can probably dial you in pretty good and is easy to contact and communicate with.

• Members

Is your Jazzer from the US, Mexico, or Canada? I have a CIJ Jazzer that I've installed 3 different sets of pickups in over the years. The OEM's were pure {censored}. Then I had some Duncan 1/4 pounders; the third set were Duncan Vintage for Jazzmaster. I went back to the 1/4 Pounders and haven't looked back. They have plenty of Jazzmaster chime and zing, but they work great with high gain amps and pedals.

The mod that really brought this guitar out of its shell were a set of Tusq saddles. Those things really work.

tusq.jpg

• Members

Definately check out Novak Jazzmaster pickups too, he makes some cool stuff. I wanted to get one of his P90's for Jazzmasters in the bridge of my Mascis but I found a great deal on some Duncans online so I went with those. Vintage in the neck and hot in the bridge.
If you have the coin go for the lollars or Novaks, if not you will probably be happy with Duncans, especially if your Jazzy is CIJ. Their pickups are def not the best and are closer to strat pickups in sound and construction just with big covers.

• Members

awesome, thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitelly be checking out the Novaks and the Lollars. Yeah, mine's a CIJ (big block version) and while I don't hate the stock pickups, I do feel the need for something s little warmer sounding... especially for od tones.

what kind of pots do you guys usually pair these pups with? 500megs? maybe a little lower for a smoother sound?

Archived