Opinions or Orville guitars?

strtdv

• Members

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one, specifically a MIJ '61 SG style one.

Are they any good?

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I know to look for FujiGen ones with no letter at the start of the serial number, but thats about it..

• Members

Orville's are the japanes made Gibson line...they are made on license to exact gibson specs, and some say they are better than the USA gibsons...

...make sure any model you are looking at has the long tenon neck joint in addition to the features you list...

• Members

I used to own one. Very nice guitar to have. Mine was a bit older and after a while (maybe upon two years of owning it) some of the frets started separating from the fingerboard. The solution was to get it refretted.

But like a moron I decided to get it done with extra jumbo frets. That's when I learned I did not like that size frets for a 24.75 scale guitar :facepalm: some people like that, so I decided to sell it on ebay.

Maybe you'll be kinder to yours :wave:

• Members

Try to get a "by Gibson" if you can. USA electronics and pickups in those and nitro finish. Terrada made some as well and they are just as good a fujigen. The fugigen bias comes from the fact that factory made many of the other copies as well.

Think of it this way...regular orvilles are high end epiphones. Orville by Gibsons are roughly USA factory gibson quality with some pluses and minuses when you compare.

How much do they want and is it regular orville or by gibson?

• Members

I worked in a store right by Berklee for a long time that mainly sold new guitars. Since there were so many Asian students we would get these sometimes.

I never played one that I would buy over a Gibson. They were nicer then the Epiphones being made today, but not something I would ever buy.

• Members

I have two Orville LPs. Both had the pickups switched out before I got them. Both of them are great guitars and indistinguishable to me from the real deal with one exception - one of them has "photoflame." But they are nice solid guitars and if I could get my hands on another for a good price I would.

I was under the impression that the only difference between "Orville" and "Orville by Gibson" is that the former has Japanese electronics and the latter has U.S. electronics. Could be wrong though.

• Members

I was under the impression that the only difference between "Orville" and "Orville by Gibson" is that the former has Japanese electronics and the latter has U.S. electronics. Could be wrong though.

"Orville by Gibson" has nitro finish vs poly on "Orville"

There are also some higher-end Orville by Gibsons that add fret edge binding and add'l mojo

Archived