Symptoms of a dying pickup

danielboles

• Members

My neck pickup went "out" recently and I'm trying to find out if it's truly the pickup is "dead" or maybe my switch is bad? I have a three-way switch between two humbuckers and neck position has very quiet clean/clippy sound when switched to it, the middle has full sound from the treble pickup although should be both I can't really tell a difference between middle and treble selection, but maybe it works properly there. Can anyone tell me how/if/what/why/can a pickup go out or does this just sound like a switch problem?

• Members

It's more likely a switch problem. Since pickups don't have any moving parts to wear out or get corroded, they normally don't just go out. It's possible to get a short in the coil of the pickup, but my first assumption would be that it's the switch. My last assumption would be that it's the pickup.

• Members

Thanks I didn't know that, what about all those vintage pickups you see, are they rebuilt?

Those are typically un-potted vintage Strat / Tele pickups that have required a rewind job because player sweat accumulated night after night inside the un-potted pickup, which cause the magnets to rust and swell a bit, which in turn eventually pop a winding close to one of the AlNiCo rod magnets making for a dead pickup due to coil discontinuity.

• Members

Thanks I didn't know that, what about all those vintage pickups you see, are they rebuilt?

Forgot to mention earlier that it's slightly possible to damage a Strat pickup (a Strat pickup with staggered-height poles) if you decide to reduce the height of a AlNiCo pole by filing too aggressively. You can reach the melting temperature instantaneously by filing aggressively. AlNiCo material starts to lose its magnetism as it approaches and exceeds its melting point.

Actually, the aggressive use of a file mentioned above is a bit overblown. If you find yourself needing to reduce the height of a pole in Strat pickup, all you need to do is perform one stroke at a time with the file and you should easily be safe from damaging the pole magnet. Whatever you do, just don't use a bench grinder. ;)

PS: The most likely cause of the original poster's problem is a bad pickup selector switch.

• Members

Forgot to mention earlier that it's slightly possible to damage a Strat pickup (a Strat pickup with staggered-height poles) if you decide to reduce the height of a AlNiCo pole by filing too aggressively. You can reach the melting temperature instantaneously by filing aggressively. AlNiCo material starts to lose its magnetism as it approaches and exceeds its melting point.

Actually, the aggressive use of a file mentioned above is a bit overblown. If you find yourself needing to reduce the height of a pole in Strat pickup, all you need to do is perform one stroke at a time with the file and you should easily be safe from damaging the pole magnet. Whatever you do, just don't use a bench grinder.
;)

PS: The most likely cause of the original poster's problem is a bad pickup selector switch.

Thanks, all good information.