Anyone know how to remove checking like this?

BG76

• Members

1- This is not a vintage neck. It is a 1973 Fender Strat neck made in 1973 by CBS.

2- It has aged, nicely is subjective

3- I hate the new American Standard (post-1992) necks. They were made for Ibanez players or something as the profile chaged and now they have that awful satin finish. Plus, the grade of the wood is not what it used to be. Like I said, no substandard necks.

4- I don't care about resale, as I have a bunch of old parts from this period. I am just trying to make myself a guitar I like.

Get Warmoth, USACG, MusiKraft, Edenhaus, or Ron Kirn to build you a neck to your specs instead of ruining a neck that's from BEFORE things got really horrible with CBS/Fender.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Get Warmoth, USACG, MusiKraft, Edenhaus, or Ron Kirn to build you a neck to your specs instead of ruining a neck that's from BEFORE things got really horrible with CBS/Fender.

1- Why would I pay someone to build something I could do myself for 1/4 of the cost?

2- I'm not planning on ruining this neck, just fixing it.

• Members

I hate fake relic jobs, but that actually looks good because it is real.

But if you don't like it that's all that matters. I'd go for trying to get the nitro to melt with some new spray on it. But be prepared for things to go badly if it doesn't work out.

• Members

1- Why would I pay someone to build something I could do myself for 1/4 of the cost?

2- I'm not planning on ruining this neck, just fixing it.

You can build necks? Sweet.

I think the problem is... Why fix what isn't broken? There's nothing there to fix. That would be like trying to fix Heidi Klum.

• Members

You can build necks? Sweet.

I think the problem is... Why fix what isn't broken? There's nothing there to fix. That would be like trying to fix Heidi Klum.

No, it would be like trying to make Heidi Klum into what she once was after she went through the windshield of her car.

The thread is about removing checking not the 'guitar police' telling me what I should and shouldn't do.

• Members

No, it would be like trying to make Heidi Klum into what she once was after she went through the windshield of her car.

The thread is about removing checking not the 'guitar police' telling me what I should and shouldn't do.

I dunno, man... She still gives me wood. :) She's even hawt pregnant.

Well, I think the problem is that there's only so much you can do to that neck before the finish ends up ruined and the decal comes off. The finish that's on there now is dried out and will more than likely not remelt with the application of more nitro. At that point, you might as well replace it with a new neck because either situation will displease you.

• Members

1- This is not a vintage neck. It is a 1973 Fender Strat neck made in 1973 by CBS.

2- It has aged, nicely is subjective

3- I hate the new American Standard (post-1992) necks. They were made for Ibanez players or something as the profile chaged and now they have that awful satin finish. Plus, the grade of the wood is not what it used to be. Like I said, no substandard necks.

4- I don't care about resale, as I have a bunch of old parts from this period. I am just trying to make myself a guitar I like.

Well Excuuuuuussee me.

• Members

also... are we even sure that neck is nitro?

I'm pretty sure fender switched to POLY finishes in the late 60s, early 70s due to enviromental laws in california, so that checking may not be natural, and spraying nitro over the top may cause more of a headache than good results.

something to think about...

• Members

also... are we even sure that neck is nitro?

I'm pretty sure fender switched to POLY finishes in the late 60s, early 70s due to enviromental laws in california, so that checking may not be natural, and spraying nitro over the top may cause more of a headache than good results.

something to think about...

Necks got nitro early on while bodies got poly. That checking is 100% natural nitrocellulose lacquer checking. Poly never checks like that.

• Members

Necks got nitro early on while bodies got poly. That checking is 100% natural nitrocellulose lacquer checking. Poly never checks like that.

i know poly never checks like that, which is why it wouldn't be "natural" if it were poly.

I'm not sure when fender stopped using nitro finishes, but i thought by the 70s they made the switch to poly.

so they had nitro necks but poly bodies for a period? whats the point of that?

• Members

i know poly never checks like that, which is why it wouldn't be "natural" if it were poly.

I'm not sure when fender stopped using nitro finishes, but i thought by the 70s they made the switch to poly.

so they had nitro necks but poly bodies for a period? whats the point of that?

I'm not exactly sure why they did it but they did. This was when CBS owned Fender. There was a lot of things where even I go "What's the point of that???" This one at least doesn't bother me as the nitro finish on the neck would be thinner and not some thick poly goop.

Eventually, though, the necks did go poly.

• Members

I'm not exactly sure why they did it but they did. This was when CBS owned Fender. There was a lot of things where even I go "What's the point of that???" This one at least doesn't bother me as the nitro finish on the neck would be thinner and not some thick poly goop.

Eventually, though, the necks did go poly.

yea it just seems weird that they'd use two different finishes... i never knew that... so 35 years later the body could still be in mint cond. while the neck has checked like the one the OP has...

who knows what they were thinking back then... maybe just trying to use up the nitro they had left, from what ive read, fender was never a company to waste materials.

• Members

yea it just seems weird that they'd use two different finishes... i never knew that... so 35 years later the body could still be in mint cond. while the neck has checked like the one the OP has...

who knows what they were thinking back then... maybe just trying to use up the nitro they had left, from what ive read, fender was never a company to waste materials.

:facepalm:

• Members

Once again, the know-nothing experts are chiming in.

In the 70s the necks were poly
but the front of the headstocks were nitro. They had problems with the decals reacting to the poly so that's why.

so i did know something because they did switch to poly by this time period, but i wasn't aware that the headstocks were still finished in nitro...

you don't have to be such an asshole just because other people use your thread to gain information. so i learned something new today, sorry it came at the expense of ruining your day.

• Members

No, other people are using my thread to spread misinformation. There's a difference and putting bad info out there is not something to be proud of.

Just to clear up this joker's statements, Fender started doing poly in 1968. I do not know *imagine that I don't know and am going to say so!* what year they did an across the board switch to poly. They used something like aliphatic urethane (I may have spelled it wrong).

Around this time they started clear coating over the decals for the first time and there was a reaction between the decals and the urethane. Since it was less labor intensive to use au, they stuck with it but continued to do the headstock with lacquer. This is why a lot of these guitars have orange headstocks and newer looking necks.

• Members

No, other people are using my thread to spread misinformation. There's a difference and putting bad info out there is not something to be proud of.

I probably should've realized this long ago but I don't think this thread ever actually desired a real answer. First you take pictures of a beautiful headstock that gives us all a chubby. I really actually have to commend you on your photography. That is great work. But then you ask us to tell you how to undo the beauty. And then when people say that it's beautiful, you pulled a 'tude.

Second, forgotten information isn't misinformation. However, you are completely correct about the headstock decal reacting with the poly.

From http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

What Did Fender Use after Lacquer in 1968?

Bob Gowan ran the Fender finish shop for Leo Fender and for CBS until he got sick of CBS and quit in the early 1970s. It was the decision of Bob and another gentlemen at Fender in 1968 to change to Aliphatic Urethane Coatings (aka "Poly") on the guitars. Fender immediately went from numerous coat application of clearcoat lacquer to *two* coats of Aliphatic Urethane. The decision was strictly a labor thing, but in the process, the decision essentially ruined Fender instruments!

Also it should be noted that 1968 and later Fenders are not entirely AUC (Aliphatic Urethane Coating). What Fender did was seal the body (as always), and then spray the sunburst colors with lacquer. Now instead of using lacquer as the clear coat over the sunburst, they just sprayed two coats of AUC. Also the face of the peghead stayed entirely lacquer, even though the rest of the neck was spray with AUC. This happened because the peghead "Fender" decal reacted with AUC. The problem occured because in 1968 Fender now clearcoated *over* the peghead decal for the first time.

I do stand firm on my stance that you will end up ruining the decal if you try to "fix" the checking. I'd honestly leave it as is. It's not like you bought some relic job off eBay. You have a neck that aged and looks pretty darn sweet. I'd kill for a neck that looks like that naturally. Hell, if I weren't expecting a child (and thus had money to spend on a project), I'd offer you some money for that neck.

• Members

Second, forgotten information isn't misinformation. However, you are completely correct about the headstock decal reacting with the poly.

1- Something is misinformation when it's stated as fact and it's wrong

2- Yes, because I make sure I have a clue before sharing information

3- Please don't go off topic in my thread. If you have a problem with me fixing this neck tough noodles.

4- By all means stand firm. Your "advice" doesn't hold much water with me, as you already showed you don't know what you're talking about:)

I have every intention of restoring this neck. Someone actually gave me some good information here and I intend to use it.

• Members

1- Something is misinformation when it's stated as fact and it's wrong

2- Yes, because I make sure I have a clue before sharing information

3- Please don't go off topic in my thread. If you have a problem with me fixing this neck tough noodles.

4- By all means stand firm. Your "advice" doesn't hold much water with me, as you already showed you don't know what you're talking about:)

I have every intention of restoring this neck. Someone actually gave me some good information here and I intend to use it.

I said I didn't know, so that doesn't state as fact.

Well, sorry, I had a faux pas. If you look at my posting history, it really doesn't happen often. I appologize for being human.

I'm not sure where I went off-topic since we've been talking about your headstock.

Well, it's OK, because with each passing post from you, I'm more convinced you're either trolling us or just stubborn to the point of harming your own position.Oh, BTW, I love how you completely cut out the fact that I actually said you were correct about the headstock being lacquered with the neck being poly. But, then again, ignoring the good things that I say only strengthens your point without fear of holes in your logic.

• Members

man, this guy needs to take a chill pill. we're not ALL trying to restore a vintage tele neck. a forum is way to spread information, if somebody posts something thats incorrect, then correct him, you don't have to be a snobby asshole about it. NOBODY ELSE clicked on your thread because they have the same problem, they opened it to read and learn... but then you turn into a huge snob whenever anybody posts an opinion that isn't the same as yours.

theres a difference between correcting someone's misinformation and being an asshole. you need to just take it down a notch and chill out... feel free to respond and bash me now, because i know you probably will, but i'm done, i don't care anymore.

• Members

I actually said you were correct about the headstock being lacquered with the neck being poly. But, then again, ignoring the good things that I say only strengthens your point without fear of holes in your logic.

That's why I wrote "yes". I was correct.

I understand you're frustrated, but think of the guy who honestly reads this looking for information. He reads something that's wrong then tells someone else, etc....

You understand what I'm saying? This thread wasn't about if I should fix this, it's about fixing it.

Archived