Think I Found The Ultimate Strings For My Strat

bobc

• Members

I decided to go on a string quest for the past 3 days. After 3 days and about 10 different sets of strings and about 10 setups, I think I found the ultimate set of strings for my American Standard Stratocaster.

I tried flat wound 12's, regular 12's, 11's, 10's, 9's, back to 10's, back to 11's, and back to 12's. I tried Elixers, D'Addario, and Ernie Ball. I finally settled on Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky" 12-16-24p-32-44-56. They sound amazing and I can strum this Strat like an acoustic. I play mostly rhythm, finger style, and a little flat picking. I know some very basic lead patterns, and can still bend as much as I need to for what I do.

I have always been an acoustic player until I got this Strat, so I am use to 12's and even 13's. I want to apply my acoustic style to electric guitar. I know that probably sounds weird, but you should hear this thing played through my Fishman SoloAmp (or right into a PA) with some chorus and delay. It sounds awesome.

Anyway, if you can handle heavy stings, and want GREAT tone, you should give these a try.

• Members

Glad you've found what works for you, but I'll stick with my 9's.

Yep, me too. 9-42's work best for me, on a 25.5 scale. On a 24.75 scale, I use 10's. When I want to play acoustic, it's 11's. I like to bend heaps. I could have weak fingers but these work best for me...

• Members

Back in the time of the TTM debacle I had chatted with several performing guitarists in town. I had a few lined up to play the "free to me" guitar live and give me their impressions of it... that's a whole nuther story though.

The point is, one of them I chatted with played a Gibson LP, a Strat and a Peavey T60 at various shows I saw. I asked him "Hey, I am getting a review guitar that looks really good on paper and I'd like your impressions after playing it live. Are you in?"

"Hell yeah, I love new guitars!"

"Sweet, what strings do you like?"

"All of mine are set up with 12's..." :eek:

And he's a string-yanking lead player, so yeah, fat strings have their fans. :thu:

Personally I am a .010, or on my Peavey Strat-o-like .0095's kind of guy. :idk:

• Members

That's great you found the strings that work for you bro!
Like billybilly, I use 9s on my longer scale guitars and 10s on the shorter, giving them all a more consistent tension/feel. I got a free set of SIT strings and have been loving those, though I currently load everything else with Coated E.Ball super and regular slinkys.

For the longest time my favorite strings were Blue Steel until they changed the packaging in the mid-90s. I have also used and enjoyed Cleartone strings, but the Balls are usually $5 less a pack.

I also have a set of Elixir electric strings laying around, but my previous experience with these were less than exciting.

• Members

Quick question for anyone: I have D'addario 10-46 on my Strat, but I tune down a half-step for the slinkier feel. I'd like to go back to standard tuning, so which set would be closer to the slinkiness of downtuned 10's: 9.5-44 or 9-42?

• Members

I like nines, and the sound just fine. I also play nines on my shorter scale guitars. I use the hybrid sets with heavy bottoms sometimes, but nines are where I'll stay.

I will say this, though. I have used all types and brands of strings through the years, but EBs are the tops.

• Members

I really like that set of Ernie Balls too.

I used to play with EB 11s and loved them, then I broke my fretting hand. While I was in the cast I set up my SG with 12s and high action, and played lapsteel style with a slide on my thumb.

My hand is free now, and I set the action low again on that SG, but left the 12s on for a while. I can do most of the things I could before, but can't play it for long periods as I lost a lot of endurance on that hand.

I string with 9s now... I really miss the tone I got with 11's and 12's, particularly with a slide (which I use a lot more now than before the break) but I need to be able to play for 5 or 6 hours at a time for band rehearsal so I'd take that.

Archived