How would you put note names on your fretboard?

wkrantz7

• Members

I have an idea where I'd like to put temporary labels on my fretboard, indicating which note is on the fretboard. This way, I could learn the names of the notes better. How would you do this? Would you use a sticker label maker? Would this mess with the fretting of strings?

• Members

If you want to go this route, you can get a cheap set of vinyl inlays on fleabay. from there you can draw on them with a perm sharpie or washable vis-a-vis marker. you can use different colors or whatever. Then when you're done you can peel them off and there's nothing sticky on your fretboard.

• Members

instead of wasting your time with labels try this exercise: fret a note and then say the note out loud. For example, fret the 3rd fret 6th string and say "G." Challenge yourself by fretting random notes and seeing how long it takes for you to identify it. This way you are making your brain do the work and not relying on reading labels

• Members

Every time this comes-up, forumites decry the use of this, "crutch".

My only problem with labeling the fretboard is that, you really can't see the notes well enough while playing (perhaps playing in front of a mirror, with the fretboard labeled in reverse letters would work) .

I had a lot more success with making my own poster of the fretboard, which provided a reference that I could see clearly while playing, and gave me the opportunity to carefully study the fretboard while making said poster.

But if one does want label the fretboard, what I used was static-stick vinyl letters/numbers, that I purchased at a stationary or sign shop. You can get them in the 1/4" size and that's what I used. They come in various colors.

Good luck!

• Members

Best way to do it, imo, is to work on one note a night. Find all of the G notes one night, then on the next night find all the Es, etc. Just keep it up and pretty soon, sooner than you might guess actually, you will have learned the whole neck.

If you haven't already, start working on memorizing the major scale too. First one octave, then 2, then 3. Practice it up and down and notice what notes you are playing as you go. It takes time, just keep at it.

One more thing that is good to know. You remember things better if you do them just before you go to bed. Work on scales, notes, just before you hit the hay and your brain will tinker with it the whole while you are a sleep. You will learn things much faster this way.

• Members

Almost 30 years ago (damn) me and a friend went to see a band that had a guy we both knew on guitar. I noticed some small circular stickers on the fretboard of his Strat. I asked my buddy what those were. "He put those on there so he could remember the mixolydian scale," he said. After all these years, I STILL think less of that guy because of that. Find another mnemonic to learn your scales...I'm telling you this for your own good.

Archived