Dot versus Sheraton?

Deadbeat Son

• Members

Binding and inlays, from what I can tell. I've had both a Sheraton and a Dot Deluxe, though, and the Sheraton was certainly a notch up in apparent quality.

Build quality, hardware quality, electronics quality? What exactly was better? I'm jonesing for a semi-hollowbody and want a Gibby ES-333, but if I can't find an appropriate deal on one I'm thinking of getting an Epi and replacing the bridge, tuners, pickups, and electronics. I'm just trying to figure out whether I'd be better off starting with a Sheraton or a Dot.

• Members

Build quality was the most apparent, and the Sheraton simply felt and played like a nicer guitar. Don't know if I'd replace the bridge and tuners, but I might make sure the nut is well-cut. The Sheraton also had aftermarket pickups, so I can't comment on the electronics, really.

• Members

I've owned both...and honestly, the Sheraton just looked nicer. The Sheraton I had (bought it new) had several issues with build quality...so I sent it back. Wish my Dot Deluxe had binding on the neck and headstock...but that's it. Everything else is pretty much the same.

• Members

I have a Dot and have only played Sheri's in the store. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but the two guitars seem to have drastically different neck profiles. The Sheri's I've played seem to have a 50's style neck, kind of thick, while my dot's profile is a bit thinner.

• Members

I have a Dot and have only played Sheri's in the store. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but the two guitars seem to have drastically different neck profiles. The Sheri's I've played seem to have a 50's style neck, kind of thick, while my dot's profile is a bit thinner.

played a korean sheri' and a chinese dot and found the exact opposite.

• Members

Nope, not true. My Dot Deluxe has a nice thick 50's neck on it...

• Members

purely cosmetics...and price...

I don't agree. Aside from the cosmetic differences, the Sheraton is a larger, much heavier, stiffer guitar. The Dot is smaller, lighter, and more resonant.

I own an ES335 and an ES333. Before finding the 333 I tried a Sheraton for two weeks, and at the same time was setting up a Dot for my daughter's friend. The Sheraton II is 1/2" larger than the 335 and feels very different due to its heavier construction, maple neck, and huge headstock, aside from the geometric differences. It's a nice guitar, but different. After two weeks, I found a good used 333, and the Sheraton went back to the store within a couple of days. It was no contest.

The Dot feels a lot closer to a lighter 335 from the 60's, but also looks and feels "cheaper." They are a great guitar for the price, though. If you are looking for the one that is closer to a 335, in my opinion it's the Dot. As someone said above, find a good one and put 57 classics in it and you'll probably be very satisfied. Better yet, spend what it takes to get a good ES333 if you can. I love mine and use it as my main gigging guitar with 57 classics installed.

Archived