My band is being looked at a label, what to look for? Also some copyright questions.

• Members

Well, we just recorded the demo in my sig about two months ago, we've been together for about 9 months. We're getting what appears to be serious interest from a small start-up label, but it's one that I think could be effective. I will of course get a lawyer, but should I find one that specializes in this type of thing, and where would I find one? Beyond that, what should I look for in the contract myself to make sure we're not getting screwed, that getting the best deal we can?

Also, I need to copy write our songs. I would use form SR I guess. How do I go about giving credit exactly? The singer and I write the music and words and melody together. The bass player just joined, so he hasn't written anything. The drummer will occasionally throw a word or two in, but doesn't really contribute to the song. How would I handle this? Do I give him credit for the drums? Words?

Thanks for any help.

• Members

Well, we just recorded the demo in my sig about two months ago, we've been together for about 9 months. We're getting what appears to be serious interest from a small start-up label, but it's one that I think could be effective. I will of course get a lawyer, but should I find one that specializes in this type of thing, and where would I find one? Beyond that, what should I look for in the contract myself to make sure we're not getting screwed, that getting the best deal we can?

Also, I need to copy write our songs. I would use form SR I guess. How do I go about giving credit exactly? The singer and I write the music and words and melody together. The bass player just joined, so he hasn't written anything. The drummer will occasionally throw a word or two in, but doesn't really contribute to the song. How would I handle this? Do I give him credit for the drums? Words?

Thanks for any help.

A cheap copy write is to mail yourself a certified copy of the lyrics.....simple....otherwise get a lawyer and all that jazz.

• Members

Watch out for the "360 deal". It's new, and it's bad for you. Basically, it entitles the label to profits from revenue generating items that they have no busines sticking their noses in, like shows, merch, etc.

They're not going to be offered a 360 deal.

• Members

A cheap copy write is to mail yourself a certified copy of the lyrics.....simple....otherwise get a lawyer and all that jazz.

This is an old wives tale and utterly useless.

And it's copyright, not write.

The songwriters are the people who write the melody and the lyrics. Arranging is another thing altogether, but doesn't usually mean writer's credit is due. You may, however, extend writer's credit to whomever you wish.

Everything you need to know about copyrights can be found at thye US copyright office FAQ page.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

The internet is full of useless and false information, especially forums (see post above), so it's best to google the source (in this case, the copyright office) and go to them directly whenever you can.

Form PA is for the songs, form SR is for the actual recording itself, though you can register the recording and the songs it contains all in one.

And FYI, your material is automatically copyrighted as soon as it's set in a tangible form, either as a recording or as a lyric sheet/score, whether it's registered or not.

• Members

Thanks for any help.

I heard someone say to put all the songs you have written and recorded onto a disk and put it in an envelop and self address it. Drop it in the box and let it get mail to your house. Don't open it.

If anyone tries to steal one of your songs, then you have proof you had it at that point in time :lol: Let the judge open it. I've never done it though.

• Members

I heard someone say to put all the songs you have written and recorded onto a disk and put it in an envelop and self address it. Drop it in the box and let it get mail to your house. Don't open it.

If anyone tries to steal one of your songs, then you have proof you had it at that point in time
:lol:
Let the judge open it. I've never done it though.

I remember a thread that came to the conclusion that that didn't work :confused:

• Members

If anyone tries to steal one of your songs, then you have proof you had it at that point in time

"poor man's copy". i don't think it holds in court.

i would follow strat's advice: go directly to the official site, download the forms, and submit them.

we just did that with our 3 song EP. and we gave music credit to the whole band and writing credits to our singer.

good luck with the label, your stuff sounds good!

-PJ

• Members

They're not going to be offered a 360 deal.

Why would you say that? That actually one of the options he mentioned. Thanks for the tip, Psychotronic, now I know. The other thing he mentioned, I think he called it a 50/50? What about that?

• Members

God, when will this old fish die?

You wanna know the biggest reason it doesn't work?

What's to stop me from mailing myself 10, or 20, or 50 empty envelopes and then putting somone else's material in it after the fact, sealing it up, and claiming it's mine?

Further, what if you have a house fire? Or a flood, or theft, or you move and your unopened envelopes get damaged or lost? You don't have any record of ownership anywhere.

Ya gotta think if you're gonna do this for a business. The "poor man's copyright" is a myth.

• Members

God, when will this old fish die?

You wanna know the biggest reason it doesn't work?

What's to stop me from mailing myself 10, or 20, or 50 empty envelopes and then putting somone else's material in it after the fact, sealing it up, and claiming it's mine?

Further, what if you have a house fire? Or a flood, or theft, or you move and your unopened envelopes get damaged or lost? You don't have any record of ownership anywhere.

Ya gotta think if you're gonna do this for a business. The "poor man's copyright" is a myth.

I don't think it will ever die. You know why? Because it's easy and "clever".

:freak:

Edit: And free.

• Members

The “poor man's” copyright isn't accepted in a court of law. You’ll need to register your work with Library of Congress if you want to bring an infringement lawsuit against someone. Hey, I don’t make the rules.

And never forgeet this!

Best, John CabbageHead.jpg

• Members

I don't think it will ever die. You know why? Because it's easy and "clever".

:freak:

Edit: And free.

but it doesn't work, unfortunately :(

also, if you're being considered by labels, cutting corners shouldn't be the way to go, especially when it comes to your music. you want to present yourself in the best way you can. i know it's gonna cost you money, but it's a one time fee and you'll feel better knowing your music is secured.

imagine if someone actually uses your music and take them to court. you don't want the only evidence you have is a sealed envelope containing your material, which can easily be argued against the validity of it.

best bet: get it copywritten!

-PJ

• Members

Watch out for the "360 deal". It's new, and it's bad for you. Basically, it entitles the label to profits from revenue generating items that they have no busines sticking their noses in, like shows, merch, etc.

My question on this (after reading the NYT article) is if a startup really has the resources/connections/whatever to make a 360 deal work. It sounds like there has to be a lot of resources behind a band in order to eventually make it work out for anyone involved (over time), and I wonder if a startup has that sort of resource pool.

Archived