Gibson Quality Decline

radomu

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Bollocks, they are made in Japan. The cheaper end ESPs, like Grassroots, are made in China.

Sorry dude, but your wrong. Go ahead and tell yourself they are Japanese guitars, but you'll just be lying to yourself. The Japanese are very proud of products made in Japan, and always have the "Made in Japan" stamped or stickered somewhere on the guitar. My Yokoyama Ken Signature Edwards came with plastic and stickers all over it. None of it said "Made in Japan" anywhere. The small stack of papers and the brochures that came with it were also devoid of the "Made in Japan" anywhere on it. Pretty weird that not one single Edwards comes stamped with a MIJ sticker anywhere on it dont you think?

Anyway like I said the guitars are Chinese, then shipped back to Japan for finishing and final setup. The hardware used is top notch stuff, and the guitars are the same for the most part as the higher end LTD stuff.

• Members
Sorry dude, but your wrong. Go ahead and tell yourself they are Japanese guitars, but you'll just be lying to yourself. The Japanese are very proud of products made in Japan, and always have the "Made in Japan" stamped or stickered somewhere on the guitar. My Yokoyama Ken Signature Edwards came with plastic and stickers all over it. None of it said "Made in Japan" anywhere. The small stack of papers and the brochures that came with it were also devoid of the "Made in Japan" anywhere on it. Pretty weird that not one single Edwards comes stamped with a MIJ sticker anywhere on it dont you think?

Anyway like I said the guitars are Chinese, then shipped back to Japan for finishing and final setup. The hardware used is top notch stuff, and the guitars are the same for the most part as the higher end LTD stuff.

Okay, so why does it say "made in japan" in Japanese on the catalogues?

• Members

Well, I've never played an Edwards because they don't have any around my area and I won't even consider buying an LTD or whatever the hell it is with that horribly gawdy finish. I mean what the hell is up with that? I don't understand the need for that ridiculous looking binding or the fascination with crappy quilt tops....or the desire for EMG's in everything. They look like they are built in the same factory as all the new Schectors which are popular for some strange reason as well.

It isn't all about looks either, but I want an LP to sound like an LP and that's with some PAF style pickups.

I wouldn't mind trying out an Edwards, but I refuse to buy one site unseen. There's just way too many fanboys of all kinds of flavor on this forum that talk out of their asses. It's almost as if someone doesn't like their guitar than they are less of a man or something.

• Members
I won't bite that... but still -

Edwards are great guitars, if they are made by chinese ... I salute them
:D

What do you got against chinese people ?

You know, americans are not that much better..

...It sounds good doesn't it ?

Get a grip !

I find their languange incredibly irritating ;)

No seriously, it's a lie that the Chinese produce cheap {censored}. Many of the things we (foreigners) have are made in China, and we don't know it. They seem to lack originality, but they produced good stuff.

• Members
Well, I've never played an Edwards because they don't have any around my area and I won't even consider buying an LTD or whatever the hell it is with that horribly gawdy finish. I mean what the hell is up with that? I don't understand the need for that ridiculous looking binding or the fascination with crappy quilt tops....
or the desire for EMG's
in everything. They look like they are built in the same factory as all the new Schectors which are popular for some strange reason as well.

It isn't all about looks either,
but I want an LP to sound like an LP
and that's with some PAF style pickups.

I wouldn't mind trying out an Edwards, but I refuse to buy one site unseen. There's just way too many fanboys of all kinds of flavor on this forum that talk out of their asses. It's almost as if someone doesn't like their guitar than they are less of a man or something.

this ...

37380898_1.jpg

... is {censored}ing awsome :cop:

I don't know about you but i've eard this was a LP, with seymour duncans :rawk:

and who said anything abou emg's ? :facepalm:

( it's Schecters, not schectors... and... a LP, not an LP)

Note : this is NOT my guitar !

• Members

Too many stuff get out-sourced nowadays. I want my gear to remain American.

For guitars, I buy ONLY American made. For Amps, American or British made. A bit more expensive, yes. But here's where I draw my line. I don't want my hobby & passion to be outsourced in any way.

• Members

For guitars & amps, I buy ONLY American made. A bit more expensive, yes. But here's where I draw my line. I don't want my hobby & passion to be outsourced in any way.

wow, that's quite a commitment. What drives you?

• Members
this ...

37380898_1.jpg

... is {censored}ing awsome
:cop:

I don't know about you but i've
eard
this was a
LP
, with seymour duncans
:rawk:

and who said anything abou emg's ?
:facepalm:

( it's Schecters, not schectors... and... a LP, not an LP)

Note : this is
NOT
my guitar !

Read my post, I think that you mis-eard me (tip: if you break out your 4th grade spelling bee trophy; make sure that you spell your {censored} correctly).

First off, I said ESP/LTD's, because I haven't seen any Edwards locally. They're both made by the same people and that's all I've had for comparison.

And this is the ugly whore that I was talking about:

491155.jpg

Could that be any cheesier? They have a lot of other crappy finishes with EMG's in them.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629

They do have one that has SD's in it:

491154.jpg

And it's covered in that horrid multi-colored cheap {censored} binding.

And as for my spelling of an LP; well that's just because I say L-P in my head when I type it. Thanks for paying a lot of attention to {censored} that really doesn't matter; I'm sure that I'll continue to do it for the foreseeable future.

You got me on schecter; I guess that shows how much I think of them. :lol:

And yes; that Edwards is pretty nice looking. Too bad they break too many trademarks/copyrights to be sold here in the states.

• Members
Read my post, I think that you
mis-eard
me (
tip: if you break out your 4th grade spelling bee trophy; make sure that you spell your {censored} correctly
).

First off, I said ESP/LTD's, because I haven't seen any Edwards locally. They're both made by the same people and that's all I've had for comparison.

491155.jpg

Could that be any cheesier? They have a lot of other crappy finishes with EMG's in them.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629

491154.jpg

And as for my spelling of
an LP
; well that's just because I say L-P in my head when I type it. Thanks for paying a lot of attention to {censored} that really doesn't matter; I'm sure that I'll continue to do it for the foreseeable future.

You got me on schecter; I guess that shows how much I think of them.
:lol:

And yes; that Edwards is pretty nice looking. Too bad they break too many trademarks/copyrights to be sold here in the states.

I am a DieHard Gibson guy......

but I have to say, those ESP LTDs are nice guitars.

I have previously owned a Viper 400 and EC400, both were solid guitars.
I didn't bond with the sterile EMG 81/85s in the Viper or 60/81s in the EC, but the guitars felt solid, had nice rosewood boards, earvana compensated nut, 24 frets, just really nice guitars for the $$$.
Back then both were under $500.
For under $500, if I could have the EC with the Seymour Duncans I don't know where it could have led.:)

Of course, that was a few years ago, the Carvins, Korean Fender FMT HHs and Ibanez Prestiges I have picked up since have not felt as good to me as they did back then, so maybe I wouldn't like the ESPs anymore either?

Back then I would have sworn up and down that my Fender Showmaster and Telecaster FMT HHs, Ibanez RGA121s, & Carvin DC400s blew away any Gibson.

I remember having a particular foindness for the Telecaster FMT HH, only sold it because it didn't have 24 frets, funny thing is, none of my guitars now have 24 frets.:rolleyes:

Also, for a while, I only owned 3 Carvins, no other brand, but that was a phase too.

With any brand, especially since guitars are largely hand made, quality control is going to vary, but manufacturer warranties and a decent set-up can get 90% of them in the very good range. There is always that 10% that just don't make it all the way, so a liberal return policy is nice.

• Members

For guitars, I buy ONLY American made. For Amps, American or British made. A bit more expensive, yes. But here's where I draw my line. I don't want my hobby & passion to be outsourced in any way.

I understand your loyalty, as I played american guitars for over 50 years. :thu:

However, after realizing that there are other companies out there that make really super-highend quality products, I found better guitars and amps in Europe. 50 years of brand loyalty was enough for me. The prices were just not worth what I was finding for quality in the product.

Actually, I am happier now then at any other time in the past. I don't mind supporting the home country, but I won't foolishly just give my money away when all I get back is average at a higher price.

You might be surprised what you would find if you gave yourself a chance. :thu:

• Members
mis-eard
me (
tip: if you break out your 4th grade spelling bee trophy; make sure that you spell your {censored} correctly
).

491155.jpg

491154.jpg

an LP
; well that's just because I say L-P in my head when I type it. Thanks for paying a lot of attention to {censored} that really doesn't matter; I'm sure that I'll continue to do it for the foreseeable future.

258Troll_spray.jpg

• Members
mis-eard
me (
).

491155.jpg

491154.jpg

an LP

You know, I have a Schecter Omen Extreme 7, 7-string guitar, with the same kind of "disgusting" cosmetics as Guitar #1 above - you know, quilted maple cap and mahogany body.

GuitarArrivesatWork-Nov42009.jpg

I think it looks fine (heck even my 70 year old mother, thinks it looks good - as a matter of fact she thinks it looks great, and my old cadillac green Gretsch Country Club looked ugly!). It also plays and sounds like a million bucks, in spite of being "just a Schecter." Please don't word statements like those above - as though they are gospel truth. It is just your opinion. OK?

• Members
You know, I have a Schecter Omen Extreme 7, 7-string guitar, with the same kind of "disgusting" cosmetics as Guitar #1 above - you know, quilted maple cap and mahogany body.

GuitarArrivesatWork-Nov42009.jpg

I think it looks fine (heck even my 70 year old mother, thinks it looks good - as a matter of fact she thinks it looks great, and my old cadillac green Gretsch Country Club looked ugly!). It also plays and sounds like a million bucks, in spite of being "just a Schecter." Please don't word statements like those above - as though they are gospel truth. It is just your opinion. OK?

Personally, I really like schecter's :D
That one is a beauty :thu: