Major differences between squier affinity and bullet strats?

chimi

• Members

The differences between Bullet and Affinity used to be much more distinct. The Bullets used to be hardtail Strats with plywood bodies until they decided to upgrade them.

Both have thin bodies, both have tremolos, both have cheap ceramic single coil pickups and cheap electronics.

I guess the major difference is that the Affinity uses Alder and the Bullet uses Basswood. Also, the neck finish on the Bullets are almost nonexistent, while the Affinities have a thin satin finish.

• Members

Bullet necks seem plastic feeling to me. Basswood body. Ceramic pickups. Cheap hardware.

Affinity neck feels like a real neck, satin finish. Agathis body. Alnico magnet pickups. Better hardware.

My first guitar was a affinity strat. Still play it today. I would only consider getting a bullet to do crazy outlandish mods to for fun. Not something I would gig with per say

• Members

Bullet necks seem plastic feeling to me. Basswood body. Ceramic pickups. Cheap hardware.

Affinity neck feels like a real neck, satin finish. Agathis body. Alnico magnet pickups. Better hardware.

My first guitar was a affinity strat. Still play it today. I would only consider getting a bullet to do crazy outlandish mods to for fun. Not something I would gig with per say

I think you need to go up to the Standard series to get Alnico P/U's. At least that's what I read on the Squier web site.

• Members

I'm a cheap bastard. I like the older Japanese and Korean Squiers and I can usually get along with almost any cheapie after a basic setup and some file and sandpaper work but I must admit, the current Bullets feel awfully cheesy. I've played a few that play very decently, but it definitely feels like a toy. I think mostly because of the finish on the neck.

I don't mind the full size trem sticking out the back of the guitar as I never have the rear plate on. But if you get a Bullet for $120, refinish the neck, put a full size trem block and install good saddles (might as well just replace the entire trem), get even GFS-level pickups, 3 CTS pots, an Oak switch... Hell, you're looking at close to $300. I've seen an awful lot of used Classic Vibe strats sell for $225. And used MIMs for $250.

The current Bullets do come in a couple cool colors, but I can't imagine buying one if you have the funds for something higher end unless you are getting it solely for the experience of modding it.

:idk:

• Members

I haven't fooled around with any recently mfg'ed Affinity's, but I bought a pair of Bullets over Xmas to donate to a music school. Here's what the neck pocket on one of them looked like......the other was actually worse (didn't bother taking a pic). Also the neck profile on the newer bullets is really poorly carved in the sense that the transition from the heel (where it's square) to around the 10/11 fret is very gradual. The same is true (although to a lesser extent) of the transition from peghead to neck. IMO the build quality of the bodies/necks is MUCH worse than what I've seen of older ones.....I've got a 2003 bullet where the neck is fantastic and it's plywood body was at least cleanly routed. I've also got a 50th Anniv Bullet neck that's awesome....2 11/16th nut, 22 frets, and a chunkier profile.

p1020675r.jpg

• Members

The Bullet is the bottom of the food chain and has the same crappy electronics as the Starcaster "starter guitar". The Affinity models are better guitars and feel and sound like Fenders. I bought a Bullet SSS loaded pickguard to replace the HSS in my GF's son's Affinity thinking the pickups were the same quality. He wanted it to sound like a real strat and it wound up sounding tinny and thin. I put the HSS guard back on.

Archived