MOULD GROWING ON MY GUITARS!!

KevinTJH

• Members

Alcohol's one of nature's best killers, maybe brush/wipe the majority off (outdoors), then follow up with methanol, ethanol, propanol? (Methylated spirits, surgical spirits, rubbing alcohol, you name it).

If the fretboard's not finished it'll hopefully be dense enough not to have taken up the organism deep into the wood. Lemon oil and elbow grease?

These ought to be far safer on the finish than bleach. Whether they'd be as effective I don't know.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Using Bleach to kill mold on a NON porous surface is *OK*, probably not the greatest thing but it's not too bad.

Now people that use it to "kill" mold on drywall..and other porous surfaces it's actually one of the worst things you can use, because the bleach removes the color and gives the illusion the mold is dead when in reality the moisture you added seeps through the surface feeding the roots and makes the mold grow back substantially worse.

Thanks, that's good stuff to know.

I am wondering if cleaning it is even worth messing with right now. If it's in the wood at all you aren't going to get all of it from out of the pores of the wood and you are going to have it come right back as long as it is humid. Using any liquid is asking for trouble between being effective or damaging the guitar.

The only thing I found that sounds like a possiblity is an ozone generator. They look to be in the $250 range though. I don't know if they really work, but you may want to read up on it. Depending on your collection's value and if you can score a good price it may be worth a shot.

• Members

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, guys. I don't think they're any luthiers around here I know, I could maybe drop by my local guitar store and ask the experienced guitar techs.

Alcohol sounds pretty good. So should I just get some Ethanol from a hardware store and wipe my guitar clean with it?

The areas I will be cleaining are my pickups, floyd rose/fixed bridges and fretboard. Can I use Ethanol for all of it?

For the moment I'm just gonna leave my guitars the way they are and count down the days left until I'm outta here!

• Members

Here are some pictures of it. In the first picture, I've got a dehumidifier directly in front of my guitars, I don't know why the mould/mold would still grow.

It is actually a mixture of dust and mould/mold, and probably more dust, but the mould/mold is still prominent when you wipe it off with a tissue.

• Members

Send them to me in Colorado. Nothing molds, tarnishes, rusts or corrodes in this climate. Oh, and a soft cotton cloth with a drop of bleach and some clean water, mixed thoroughly, should kill the mold without damaging your guitar. Just wipe the bleach mixture quickly with a clean, damp cloth.

• Members

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, guys. I don't think they're any luthiers around here I know, I could maybe drop by my local guitar store and ask the experienced guitar techs.

Alcohol sounds pretty good. So should I just get some Ethanol from a hardware store and wipe my guitar clean with it?

The areas I will be cleaining are my pickups, floyd rose/fixed bridges and fretboard. Can I use Ethanol for all of it?

For the moment I'm just gonna leave my guitars the way they are and count down the days left until I'm outta here!

I would hate to be responsible for any damage, and there may be a strong possibility of drying out the fretboard wood, but personally I'd feel confident using alcohol on the hardware. Probably with a toothbrush.

The fretboard - if it was me, I'd brush as much of the mould away (remembering that this will likely cause it to send spores all over the place) as I could, then wipe the board with the alcohol on a cloth, not drenching it. I'd follow up with lemon oil.

Maybe someone else can chip in with thoughts on alcohol on fretboards?

I suppose it depends how much it bothers you - it may be risky, drying out the fretboard. But if you play it anywhere in future and it's still moulded up, you'll be the unwelcome spreader of mould!

• Members

To the OP, no problem. I had to do mold cleanup pretty frequently working in a dormitory awhie back that had severe mold issues. I read the information I provided from the OSHA regulations regarding mold cleaning and removal.

Honestly on the fretboard I would probably do as another forum memeber suggested and clean it off with some lemon oil. Or just use Naptha to clean the board then reoil it with lemon oil (or whatever fretboard oil you like). I highly doubt you'd have issues with spores being left over alive.

• Members

Kevin, have you smelled it to confirm that it's actually mould/mildew? It's hard to tell from your pictures, but it looks more like a corrosion reaction from the humid/salty air and the metal parts on the guitars.

It could be both. I live in a humid part of the US, and I have had a problem with corrosion on a few of my guitars that were in a particularly wet room. I also had slight surface mildew on a couple. But I never had actual mold growing on the fretboard. Those fretboard pictures look more like a result of corroding fretwire.

As far as solutions, docjeff's advice to quickly wipe any mildew with a bleach solution is probably the best. As far as corrosion, you will probably have to live with it if you are already doing everything you can to keep the guitars dry.

• Members

Anybody considered the standard guitar cleaner - naptha?

Also, you need to move the air around in your apartment more too. Stagnant air contributes to mold and mildew. Is this near a sink, shower or bathroom? If so, move them. Get a fan moving air across your guitar rack.

I know sunlight kills mold, anybody have thoughts on light sources with enough UV that will work inside and not give him skin cancer?

• Members

Step 1: Fill bathtub and add a gallon of bleach.

Step 2: Submerse guitars in bath and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

Step 3: Scrub guitar with soft brush to remove old mold.

Step 4: Give it another couple minutes in the bath.

Step 5: Hang guitar outdoors in the sun for several days, but don't let it get rained on.

Step 6: Tune up and enjoy.

:)

• Members

i might be able to help

i NEVER, ever let my guitars out of their cases unless i'm playing them. also, i keep a rag in each case and give them a wipe after i play...every time.

another thing is that i get the big silica gel packs and keep them in the cases as well.

ANOTHER thing is that i make sure my guitars are in GOOD, hard-shell cases that seal completely.

and remember: a dehumidifier doesn't work against outside atmospheric humidity unless the room is COMPLETELY sealed.

now, that was prevention..as far as fixing your mold-growth issue, i'd go at it with a dry cloth and try and attack it as much as possible....if you're talking about mold on the hardware, dude, get better hardware. it's happened to me on my cheaper guitars that use lower quality metals for the bridge and saddles (schecter csh-1)

• Members

I have a leather strap that seems to have a recuring mold problem. I keep wiping it off with a clean rag and it eventually comes back. A mild bleach mixture seams to have helped a little but hasn't completely cured it. Of course it's winter here in the south right now. That may be why it's seems to be better.

FYI,

Never leave your wet leather strap packed in your gear bag after a hot, outdoor gig. This appears to be what started my problem. Fortunately it only affected the strap. I usually don't even pack the strap any more. I let it dry before packing again.

Dega

• Members

If you use Clorox or any chlorine laundry bleach, cut it with 50% water. Apply with a toothbrush, rinse with water, and dry throughly, maybe even use a blow dryer. Mold has to have moisture and lack of light to grow. Put your guitar rack near indirect sunlight or leave a light on, once you have removed the mold/mould. The black mold can be dangerous to humans. Naptha will eat the finish off of most guitars. Use only on the fretboard. Try in a small area before you go wild with it.

Archived