Need info on 1940's Gibson

EvanAgee

• Members

Hey guys, a friend of mine was given the guitar pictured below by his aunt and is about to put it up for sale but doesn't know anything about it. Any info you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

4397759339_91739b9a19_o.jpg

4398526170_57b242e7fc_o.jpg

4398526206_1281e3ccf0_o.jpg

4398526232_0abd411224_o.jpg

• Members

Anyway, I thought it was nuts at $400. I figured it was hot.

It looks legit to me, though the tuners and bridge have been replaced.

Can you read the serial #? You need to find out what model it is and the exact date of manufacture.

It's worth far more than $400. Could be closer to $4,000.

Check with the guys on the acoustic forum as well. Some very knowledgeable guys there.

I'm a fan of archtops but not so informed on specific values. It's a real beauty.

Tell your friend I'll give him $600 for it. :D :poke:

I see some 50s models Epi acoustic archtops going for $2,500 every day. A Gibson has to be worth far more, even if it needs work.

EG

• Members

Not really sure about the details really other than his aunt gave it to him, not sure any of them knew exactly what they have here. I was asked to get some information about it.

-EDIT-

Got a little more info. His aunt was planning to give the guitar to him, but needed money so he bought it from her for $400 to help her out. Now he's wanting to sell it. It has been in their family for 40+ years. He's in the process of getting more photos (has a case with it apparently) and then will be listing it for sale.

• Members

Case or no, it's worth far more than $400. With a guitar like that, he needs to take it to someone with experience with them.

It's in Florida? There must be some reputable vintage dealers in the area who can give him an accurate appraisal.

There's a 1930s Gibson up at archtop.com right now for $30,000.

I don't think this one will go that high but still. If it's prewar, the value goes up considerably.

He needs an expert to look at it even if he has to drive a ways.

EG

• Members

Looks like an L-47 or an L-50?

Here's one offered recently on Ebay for $600 plus shipping but it got no takers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GIBSON-L-47-Archtop-Acoustic-Guitar-SUNBURST_W0QQitemZ250585033663

Here's an L-50 that didn't sell for about the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1940-S-GIBSON-L-50-L50-ARCHTOP-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ110491802266

And here's an L-50 that the auction is still open on from the 40's and sunburst:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Vintage-L-50-L50-1941-Archtop-Acoustic-Guitar-NR_W0QQitemZ360237049359

• Members

Sadly it really isn't worth very much, particularly given its condition, non-original (Schaller?) tuners and missing pickguard. These were very much entry-level, sold in huge numbers and aren't very collectible nor especially outstanding in any way. Nevertheless they were well made and in production until 1971.

• Members

Looks like an L-47 or an L-50?

Here's one offered recently on Ebay for $600 plus shipping but it got no takers:

Here's an L-50 that didn't sell for about the same:

And here's an L-50 that the auction is still open on from the 40's and sunburst:

The L47 went out of production in 1942 so wouldn't have the post-1947 logo.

Archived