Starting A Band In Your 40s

Mark L

• Moderators

I manage to get together with my old buddies Four Eyes a couple times a year and play a couple gigs. Later this month we'll do International Pop Overthrow festival in San Diego.

I'm the baby at 50. The nice thing... this morning I open my email. Everyone confirmed rehearsal on the 15th at 6pm at my studio. Done deal. Nobody's not showing up cause of a drug deal gone bad. Or showing up drunk. Or with thier SO. Get in, work the tunes for 2 hours... see you next week at the gig.

It's quick, easy, friendly, enjoyable. Like music should be.

• Members

I'd defnitely love to get a band together but I've been unable to do so 'cos my day job gets in the way of things like regular rehearsals and such.

I do miss having a band - nothing quite compares to it. But being solo means I can rehearse when I want to, I can change the structure of a song in any way I please whenever the mood takes me - including during a performance of it - and I don't have to deal with all the politics of multiple egos and hidden agendas etc.

Having said all that, I'd still take the band option if I could though.

PS I'm not 40 any more - where'd the time go?

• Members

Yeah, it really depends what your priorities are... to me, I don't see the point of music if not to play live and interact with other musicians, both onstage and in the studio. My songwriting is nearly always geared toward that, although frankly I don't have a lot of control over my songwriting anyway - I just write whatever comes out.
:lol:

Well, I`ve been accused of being too critical about my songs... a single word, a single note, a chord, harmony, etc... can prolong a song from completion for years... I actually agree with the critique but I can`t help myself.

I would rather release 10 songs to the public that meet my own standards than put out 50 that are so so...

It can get out of hand. The funny thing is, I was listening to my first record the other day and I actually heard something my drummer through in as ear candy that he never asked me to approve. Bastard! :D

• Members

Well, I`ve been accused of being too critical about my songs... a single word, a single note, a chord, harmony, etc... can prolong a song from completion for years... I actually agree with the critique but I can`t help myself.

I would rather release 10 songs to the public that meet my own standards than put out 50 that are so so...

Well, same here actually - it's just that I'm generally happier with the results when the band works up the arrangements together than sitting by myself banging my head against the wall.

The banging my head against the wall generally comes later on when I'm sitting by myself trying to complete guitar overdubs... like I'm doing right now. :facepalm::deadhorse::mad:

We also all write songs so it's fun working on the guys' songs too.

• Members

At 49, I'm 2 years into the current project. We're running 6 pieces in what started as an acoustic duo. It just kind of mushroomed on its own. Other than times when I was invited to join an existing act, it was probably the easiest start-up I've ever had. There was really no pressure, we just took it slow and had fun. The younger members are a little more susceptible to drama than the rest of us, but it all works out. I was ready to give up a few years ago, but now I believe I'll play as long as I'm having fun.

• Members

I'm the baby at 50. The nice thing... this morning I open my email. Everyone confirmed rehearsal on the 15th at 6pm at my studio. Done deal. Nobody's not showing up cause of a drug deal gone bad. Or showing up drunk. Or with thier SO. Get in, work the tunes for 2 hours... see you next week at the gig.

^:lol: too funny, 'Baby' at 50?

Last summer my best bud, the one I co-wrote songs with(still do) and my older brother were sitting out back doing some of our old original tunes, some Byrds and CSN...We were the vocals in our original band and have been singing together since we were in our teens.

When the three of us get together, even if we haven't seen each other for 2 years or so, we know our vocal parts so well that we just pick up immdiately where we left off last time we met.

My brother says 'I really like this song" and starts singing 'I want it That Way' by 'The Back Street Boys'.

We all jump in and it sounds so good I almost start to cry...

My neighbors nephew is out back doing some yard work and leans over the fence, looks at us incredulously and says,

"Shit, you dudes are OLD, I mean SERIOUS 'Dinosaur shit' old,

you guys should call yourself the 'Broke Down Boys!'

• Members

I played in 2 bands during the 90s - I loved it. I reckon playing gigs in front of live audiences hones your understanding of peoples current tastes, if it doesn't work live, it won't work any other way kinda philosophy.

the hardest part of any band is getting gigs IMHO :)

hey Lee - now you are over 45 you can qualify as a cougar :)

Archived