Help with a Rush song

mutant_guitar

• Members

I'm playing a cover of Freewill and I've been having a tough time with the solo. I worked out something based on what Alex plays live and I think it sounds fairly close.

Could some resident Rush experts possibly give a listen and some helpful words of advice? Does it sound close enough? This was a quick recording with my microcube. I'm not even sure I tuned first :facepalm:. Excuse the obvious mistakes, it's still rather unpolished.

http://home.pct.edu/~cumnic87/freewillsolo.mp3

• Members

:wave:

I can't get your link to work.

If you can get it working, I'll take a listen.

it's hosted on my school provided server space. I think their network is down right now :facepalm:. I can't even access my network drives ATM.

For a tech school, we have a pretty bad network...

• Members

it's hosted on my school provided server space. I think their network is down right now
:facepalm:
. I can't even access my network drives ATM.

For a tech school, we have a pretty bad network...

I'll keep trying it periodically.

• Members

That sounds pretty good!

Just tighten up the timing a little, toss some flanger and delay on it and you're good to go.

thank's for compliment! that means alot coming from you.

hmmm, I didn't notice any delay before. I'll have to go back and listen to it some more.

the part I'm the least sure about is the really fast section. I basically used an F scale, but it doesn't sound quite right. Any ideas?

• Members

thank's for compliment! that means alot coming from you.

hmmm, I didn't notice any delay before. I'll have to go back and listen to it some more.

the part I'm the least sure about is the really fast section. I basically used an F scale, but it doesn't sound quite right. Any ideas?

The delay wil just thicken it up a bit.

I can't help ya with the scale. I wouldn't know one from another. I go by ear 100%.

Slow his solo down with Windows Media Player. You can hear every note that way.

Archived