Anyone use flatwounds?

ibzprestige

• Members

I have a set of D'Addario Chrome 11s on my ES-225. They sound great for what I use it for - 50s jazz and rockabilly. The advantages are less string noise, a more stable feel to the strings, you can get a lower action, and they last longer than roundwounds. The only disadvantages really are the less slinky feel, so bending is more difficult, and because there is less brightness on the bass strings there's less of a "rocky" sound to them.

• Members

Yeah, the Chromes feel more like flatwounds and are very hard to bend, esp the G and D strings.

The Thomastiks aren't as easy to bend as roundwounds, but are much easier than the Chromes.

In terms of tone, they both make your rig sound twice as big as with rounds. The Thomastiks come in 10s that feel very similar to roundwound 10s, but just a bit harder to bend and much fuller sounding.

• Members

webstrings have a smoother, slicker wrap than chromes, which feel a bit "gritty" - they still have a touch of tooth on the strings, you can almost get a pick scrape

webstrings are great feeling and sounding strings - I use their flats on almost everything I have, guitar and bass

• Members

I use Flatwounds on my bass and my semi. Thomastik Infeld on the semi. I'm so used to have flats on that guitar that I can't imagine going back to roundwounds on it. I have two other humbucker guitars with roundwounds so I'm covered with those.

• Members

I'm running the D'Addario Chromes 11's as well. I'm never playing round wounds again.

I'm playing Metal for the most part, so I had to completely redial my amp after the switch. I don't think very many players realize how much of their distortion sound comes from string noise.

• Members

Thomastik-Infields are tremendous strings...and at that price, they'd damned well better be!

Webstrings and D'Addario Chromes are less expensive and perfectly fine. They may not last as long as T-Is, but given the price difference, so what?

• Members

I'm running the D'Addario Chromes 11's as well. I'm never playing round wounds again.

I'm playing Metal for the most part, so I had to completely redial my amp after the switch. I don't think very many players realize how much of their distortion sound comes from string noise.

• Members

Thomastik-Infields are tremendous strings...and at that price, they'd damned well better be!

Webstrings and D'Addario Chromes are less expensive and perfectly fine. They may not last as long as T-Is, but given the price difference, so what?

True story, I love Savarez for my classical guitar, but the strings on the bass side will usually last for like 2 weeks, one day there was no Savarez on the store but they had some new Thomastik strings so I tried them.

Almost 3 years later they look like I restrung the guitar yesterday.

If the electric guitar strings are that good, I'm sold.

Archived