Cheaper copy-ish of Burstbucker pickups

Annoying Twit

• Members

What's your budget? I think Bryan at BG Pickups will ship across the pond for not too much $$$. His prices are reasonable to start with, but he posts here and gives a discount for HC members. I'm sure he could wind you up something similar to a Burstbucker if you talked to him.

I haven't heard any of his pickups in person yet, but the clips sound good and I haven't heard a bad word from anyone here. I have a set of P.U.F.s on order so I'll be able to say more in a few weeks when they arrive. Good luck!

• Moderators

AT, don't forget that theer are four flavours of BB

BB Pro - wax potted

BB1 - low output no potting

BB2 - medium output no potting

BB3 - highest output no potting

Some analogues are:

SD Seth Lover - BB1

SD Pearly Gates - hmmm it's potted I think

SD Alnico IIs

Look at some Alnico II IIIs and IVs

Tonerider do a Al II and the Rocksongs are Al IV

It'll get you in the ballpark

I take it your considering upping your V100?

• Members

AT, don't forget that theer are four flavours of BB

BB Pro - wax potted

BB1 - low output no potting

BB2 - medium output no potting

BB3 - highest output no potting

Some analogues are:

SD Seth Lover - BB1

SD Pearly Gates - hmmm it's potted I think

SD Alnico IIs

Look at some Alnico II IIIs and IVs

Tonerider do a Al II and the Rocksongs are Al IV

It'll get you in the ballpark

I take it your considering upping your V100?

BG Lizards would get you there...:o

• Members

I have a set of the GFS Alnico IIs and they are in the ballpark in terms out output, but they are quite a it darker than my Seth Lovers which are a bit darker than my 57 Classics which are about the same as Burstbucker 1s and 2s.

I like them, but I rarely turn the knob on the guitar down with the GFS set.

• Members

At the moment I'm just thinking. After buying my Rickenfaker on Thursday, my gear buying budget is now negative, and will stay that way for a couple of months. So, I've got time to think about things before making more purchases.

My theory when I originally bought my V100 was this. I was going to obtain a variety of pickups, and try swapping pickups around to see what happened. To learn for myself what I get out of various pickups. I've seen people on here who have a big collection of pickups, and when they get a new guitar can try swapping in and out various pickups to see what they get. But, I don't think I'd learn anything if I had a collection of mediocre pickups and swapped between them.

BG pickups sound excellent, from the reviews and the online samples. But, I'm not yet convinced that I know what I want, and may need to go through a process of trial and error until I do. Same applies for custom wounds. It doesn't help if someone can duplicate any of burstbuckers 1, 2, or 3, if I don't know which I want. But, buying pickups in the UK or Europe is easier, and avoids the customs and excise nightmare.

When I swapped the pickup on my son's 1/2 sized Westfield, I asked online for suggestions of a mellow sounding pickup. And bought an Irongear Rolling Mill. I didn't expect it to sound as mellow as it does! Though, being in the 1/2 sized body may be part of that. So, I may end up swapping that out for something different. It was a learning exercise, and I learnt stuff. Not a problem for a

• Members

At the moment I'm just thinking. After buying my Rickenfaker on Thursday, my gear buying budget is now negative, and will stay that way for a couple of months. So, I've got time to think about things before making more purchases.

My theory when I originally bought my V100 was this. I was going to obtain a variety of pickups, and try swapping pickups around to see what happened. To learn for myself what I get out of various pickups. I've seen people on here who have a big collection of pickups, and when they get a new guitar can try swapping in and out various pickups to see what they get. But, I don't think I'd learn anything if I had a collection of mediocre pickups and swapped between them.

BG pickups sound excellent, from the reviews and the online samples. But, I'm not yet convinced that I know what I want, and may need to go through a process of trial and error until I do. Same applies for custom wounds. It doesn't help if someone can duplicate any of burstbuckers 1, 2, or 3, if I don't know which I want. But, buying pickups in the UK or Europe is easier, and avoids the customs and excise nightmare.

When I swapped the pickup on my son's 1/2 sized Westfield, I asked online for suggestions of a mellow sounding pickup. And bought an Irongear Rolling Mill. I didn't expect it to sound as mellow as it does! Though, being in the 1/2 sized body may be part of that. So, I may end up swapping that out for something different. It was a learning exercise, and I learnt stuff. Not a problem for a

• Members

Hi, I'm new here - may I jump in with a Burst Bucker question here?

I had heard that part of what made the Burst Buckers sound so good was that the two coils each have a different number of winds on the coils, making them not entirely, completely humbucking but yielding just a bit more of the single-coil bite. Is that true, or did I get bad information?

The BB Pros are would like this; not positive about the rest of the line.

I will say that I'm a sucker for Gibson pickups and love both the BB Pro and the 57's very much.

As for trying to find a more affordable version I'd take a look into Toneriders. They've gotten some rave reviews from people that I trust very much. Only pickups that I'd go with over them would probably be BG's, but they are a bit more expensive (though probably more than worth it).

I honestly wouldn't waste my time with anything else at this point.

Archived