Anyone ever work in music retail?

dougsthang

• Members

When and Where?

Just curious to see who else has worked behind the counter?

I did my time (Almost 5 years) at the Sound Post in Evanston, IL during the mid to late 80's. Had a great time and a ton of laughs. It allowed me to play at night in bands. Also gave me the foundation for my career. I'm still in the biz, (just noticed it's now 25 years, ouch!). We weren't departmentized so one minute I'd be selling a Les Paul, the next a Yamaha DX-7 or Ensoiniq Mirage, then a Martin, then a EV sound system. Towards the end of my time there the sound of the chime bell above the door had a Pavlovian effect making making my neck slightly twist. I'm sure we all have good stories.

• Members

I think plenty of us do - just about everyone I know works at the local L&M, or has worked there. My hetero life partner (ha :D) works at the L&M, has done for years. He has a pretty good time.

I was "downsized" from the job I had previously held for eight years this last summer, so I need a new job in a month or two... And guess what? I'll be getting a job there. So there you go. Silly music jobs.

• Members

I worked 3 and a half years at 2 different GC's. I was an assistant manager for a year and a half of that. It wasn't bad at first. It was fun seeing new gear all the time, playing instruments you'd never be able to afford in your lifetime, and of course the discounts. They were very accommodating of your musical career too. When I joined a band that toured full time, they allowed me to remain technically employed still for 8 months after I left, which meant I could still get discounts on the road and also I could keep my health insurance. That was cool.

After a while though, being GC, it really wore me down. The cacophony of noise on Saturdays, the customers who absolutely hated GC but still came in there just to be a dick to you (so they could tell themselves they were sticking it to the man, I guess...), the corporate crap (everything had an acronym....) After a few years of that, it's hard to be excited to go to work.

• Members

Yup. A small shop in Cleveland Oh. I worked there for a year or year and a half. I was there during the decline of the store. We did a lot of resurrecting and trying to make it viable but the results always went up someone's nose...

I met a few "rock stars" and found quite a few amazing pieces of gear that I still own. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

• Members

Ray Hennig's Heart of Texas music from 1993-1996

Band Aid Music in Bellevue, WA 1996-1997

Musician's Friend in Kirkland, WA 1997-1999

While it can be fun, it is still retail. That means horrible hours and dealing with customers. Both get real old, real fast.

Archived