Pickups Covered vs. Uncovered.... does it really make a difference?

wolverine1190

• Members

Hey,

So I've decided on upgrading the pickups in my Epiphone G400 from stock to the seymour duncan SH-4 JB/SH-2n Jazz combo (so original! :rolleyes:). The guitar body is mahogony, and I run it through a Digitech RP250 for different amp models / effects. The only decision I have to make is whether to get them covered or uncovered.

Main Question: Does it really make a difference?

I prefer the looks of the covered pickups, but maybe that's just because the stocks on my guitar came covered. I've listened to a few audio comparisons and could tell a slight difference, but not much. Then again, maybe that's just my ear.

I would really appreciate any advice/feedback, especially from someone who has heard both the covered and uncovered versions of the pickups. As much as I love the looks of covered better, I'd go for the uncovered to get a better sound (and they're cheaper :p). Thanks in advance.

• Members

They're a bit hotter.

You won't notice that much difference through your modeller, though.

given the fact that you're using a modeler you won't notice too much difference if you performed a head to head comparision and of course every pickup is unique to a degree. but in general the uncovered are a bit edgier than covered pups

• Members

I don't really hear a difference. The only reason why I like covered is I usually use a warm neck and stupidly hot bridge combo, so I need to jack the neck pickup pretty high, and if it was uncovered the high E would occasionally get stuck in the coil, not so with a covered pickup.

• Members

Alright, thanks for all the info guys. I guess if I feel like forking over an extra 40 dollars for the looks of a covered pickup, I'll do that. As far as the material of the covers, what is best? I've read in a few places that what the cover is made of is important for picking up all frequencies.

• Members

Yeah, I'd heard that they do take a bit off the top end, and that's what I was referring to when I said some metals were better than others: some really cut down the higher end frequencies while others were more "transparent" and let them through. I'm not sure I'd want any top end taken off, which is why I was curious as to what metals were the "transparent" ones... if that's even possible.

• Members

Jason Lollar says they take a bit off from the top-end. If Lollar says it, I believe him...

Bryan for Norcal (BG pickups), reckon they make a difference too. Depends how good your ear is though. I like my high end and I believe thats where it makes the most difference. Hence, my guitars pickups are naked.

• Members

mho..

i like covered pups.. for some things and not for others

the covered pup seems so tame or roll off some high freq

gives a smoother kinda tone... where the uncovered is a bit hotter and has a bit more shine or sparkle to the tone..

• Members

I recently had Burstbucker Pros with nickle plated covers installed into a Washburn USA P4. I replaced the uncovered SD 59s cause they were kinda bright with the ebony board. I was worried after reading that the BB Pros were bright pickups but my tech assured me that the nickle covers would mellow them out. He was right, much warmer.

• Members

All I know is my Les Paul's to double coil naked pickups produce more volume through any amp than any other guitar I've ever played or heard played in comparison.

Two guitars..Les Pauls, one amp for the test and mine are considerably louder than covered pick ups.

• Members

Yeah, even though I don't like the looks, it's sounding like I'll definitely go with the uncovered pickups. I'm a fan of higher end frequences in a tone, and tend to like the raw "bite" you get from treble and mids rather than a smooth warm tone. So, for me, uncovered seems to be the ticket. Thanks to everyone who has had some input. I appreciate it :)

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I agree. I had Lollar Imperials on neck and bridge both nickel; covered. I swapped the bridge to an uncovered Lollar Imperial. The Nickel cover definately created a warmer smoother sound. The uncovered Lollar is louder and more raw sounding. I should mention that the uncovered pickup is 'F-spaced', meaning about 2 ml. wider then the covered which probably exaggerates the effect. A guy I asked about this at Lollar suggested lowering the brige pickup...I lowereed it maybe a millimeter and it didn't make any difference I could hear.

My tech guy did not give me a yay or nay and it was my idea, my curiosity. I will probably switch back to the covered.

Noticeably nicer more harmonic sound.

Archived