Soul Food

boosh

• Members
basically a sort of quickie take on a (in this case marron) roux

full on roux, that's a study, but one boosh might have his head around....if they call it "french toast" you don't want their roux
:D

Don't teach me anything about Roux,... I know ll sorts,.. The French, Cajun ,Dutch ,... I know them by heart. I know all kinds of butters and flours we need to make them with. I know the colors and I know how long they need to cook to get the best results,..

Brown roux,White roux,Thick William(it's water with flour),,.....

I start to sound like that Shrimp guy from Forrest Gump,...

Please keep this discussion going,.. I don't respond much ,..I suck up all the info,............

In the mean time I'm reading this book :

51BBV1W22CL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I couldn't teach you anything about roux -- I am forbidden to divulge from that side of the family

Who in your family do I need to talk to? Tell me,..... Maybe I can teach them or we can exchange recipes,...........

• Members

Who in your family do I need to talk to? Tell me,..... Maybe I can teach them or we can exchange recipes,...........

Probably would need to start with a genetic engineer and get a DNA swap-out -- Family recipes are family recipes -- and they can kind of be apprenticeships...you may be going by that recipe, but you aren't 'making the family recipe' until the old folks clear you on it

It's part of the mystique and culture -- I'd be at least mildly shocked in Cooter, for instance, didn't have some "family tricks" up his sleeve that he can't share (I think mentioned having one in one of his gravies)

I suppose part of it is amusing affectation, but it is also true...they are genuine living cultural artifacts that follow a family lineage and, while in good fun, effort is genuinely taken to avoid dilution and preserve these things and give them context.

(Which, I suspect is and was important in a 'melting pot' situation -- the blending will happen on it's own, preservation of identity is entropy reversal -- it's thermodynamics)

so the "we have the best" pride, "don't {censored} with the recipe" conservatism (at it's root : to conserve) and "family secrets" has a place

It's part of that culture to understand, respect and celebrate....I {censored} you not...it's part of the "flavor" of the food that isn't just about the flavors of the food

• Members

I know what you mean man,....

We have a thing called "Hachee" I think the English just call it Hach or hasjh or something like that.

It's a beef stew. Only ingredients are :

Beef
Onions
Butter
water
pepper
salt
bay leaves and cloves.
Vinegar.
Flour.

My Gran makes it,...she taught my mum.
My Mum taught me,....

We all do it the same,...
If you'd put us next to eachother with three exactly the same equipped kitchens and video tape us we'd do exactly the same things. Still,....

Stilll,..................stillllllll,......................................

If you'd taste the final dishes,.. my gran's dish will stand out and be the best one of them all,....

Now frikking explain that to me,...

• Members

Probably would need to start with a genetic engineer and get a DNA swap-out -- Family recipes are family recipes -- and they can kind of be apprenticeships...you may be going by that recipe, but you aren't 'making the family recipe' until the old folks clear you on it

My great-grandmother, though just a country lady, was accomplished at so many things... One of them was flaky pastry...

She could make a pineapple turnover completely from scratch... right in her own tiny, simply-appointed kitchen... that could make a grown man weep, it was so delicious... the pastry flaky and many-layered yet perfectly put-together.

• Members
My great-grandmother, though just a country lady, was accomplished at so many things... One of them was flaky pastry...

I suspect that's what we call "Mille Feuille" 1000 pages. Butter water and flour mixed,folded,foldedagain etc etc etc,...

I made a gazillion stacks of that stuff back in school,..we now buy it prefab,.... luckily,....:p

• Members
I remember this true story: none of Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment neighbors called the police when ghastly, putrid odors began to fill the communal hallways...

They thought white boy was cooking himself some chit'lin's.
:idk:

When I worked as a dishwasher in a soul food restaurant, the chef, an older white guy called Irish, would hand the pot of chit'lins to me near the end of each night and would always say "This is exactly what cooked human flesh smells like." I guess he was right, although I don't don't know how he would know.

Then he would hand over the pot used to cook the red snapper and say "smells like a French whorehouse."

Scrubbing those two pots was always the low point of my day.

• Members

When I worked as a dishwasher in a soul food restaurant, the chef, an older white guy called Irish, would hand the pot of chit'lins to me near the end of each night and would always say "This is exactly what cooked human flesh smells like." I guess he was right, although I don't don't know how he would know.

He was probably a Veteran of WWII, Korea, or Viet Nam.

• Members

I guess Booshy already knows this, but, when it comes to authentic "Roots" American cooking, only animal shortenings will do.

You haven't had delicious French Fries (a.k.a. chips or pommes frites) till they've been deep fried in suet (beef fat).

Similarly, you will be dazzled at how beautiful, even and perfect and delicious your pie crusts can be when you start using lard....instead of CRISCO.

It's almost politically incorrect nowadays to use animal shortenings, what with our current preference for low cholesterol/no trans fat cooking oils. But they're delicious, I must admit.

Animal fats fry, crisp and brown more uniformly than vegetable fats do.

• Members

I guess Booshy already knows this, but, when it comes to authentic "Roots" American cooking, only animal shortenings will do.

You haven't had delicious French Fries (a.k.a. chips or pommes frites) till they've been deep fried in suet (beef fat).

Similarly, you will be dazzled at how beautiful, even and perfect and delicious your pie crusts can be when you start using lard....instead of CRISCO.

It's almost politically incorrect nowadays to use animal shortenings, what with our current preference for low cholesterol/no trans fat cooking oils. But they're delicious, I must admit.

Animal fats fry, crisp and brown more uniformly than vegetable fats do.

Can't find lard anywhere around here, anymore, except at the local Mi Pueblo. I shop there anyway, because their veggies are always fresh and organic. Plus they carry all the cane sugar Mexican soft drinks.

• Members

Some of us may recall that incident, in Georgia in the 1990's: an unscrupulous undertaker was performing sham burials with empty coffins. They cost the deceased's families a lot of dough. Once the boxes were in the ground, the actual bodies he denuded of their gold and jewels, and sold various body parts on the black market. What was left he burnt in his crematorium.

Who blew the whistle on his shady operation?

A very elderly lady living downwind of the chimneys.

She was very old. And Polish. And Jewish. :eek: She told police "nothing else in the world smells exactly like that".

• Members

Aaah ,.. I get it,..it's the middle eastern variety of what the French Cuisine offers. Greece has it also. It's different,..not what I mean.

What I meant is Puff Pastry.

Yeah, there are several variations on that theme. Phyllo works on the same principle.

Even the inexpensive "flaky Jumbo biscuits" (similar to British "scones"...scones are slightly sweeter, slightly more cake-y) I buy in a canister from WAL-MART use this technique.... Nowadays machines, I suppose, can make those many, many alternating layers of (in this case) shortening and dough, shortening and dough, shortening and dough, all rolled paper-thin.

0001800000211_215X215.jpg

Of course, real croissants and brioche are made of butter... Mmm-mmm-mmm. It's a helluva lotta work to do this by hand. You have to refrigerate each butter layer for awhile so its layer stays more-or-less intact when you roll it out again...

Yes, I would think every European chef would have to do this over and over again, till he could do it in his sleep....

• Members

I think I mentioned before, that in the Seventies. a McDonalds in Vermont near our cabin was the last holdout using beef tallow for their french fies,

McDonalds headquarters threatened to take away their franchise, The crusty Vermont customers were threatening another 'Boston Tea Party' like thing.

• Members

Can't find lard anywhere around here, anymore, except at the local Mi Pueblo. I shop there anyway, because their veggies are always fresh and organic. Plus they carry all the cane sugar Mexican soft drinks.

Ditto, My wife gets in at Selecto 'Supermarket' (not really a Supermarket) she says you can't make a proper pot of 'Arroz y Gandules' without it, plus you need the proper pot to cook it in and they have all sized pots depending how large your family, is stacked on the top shelves.

The produce is super fresh and varied, I love to buy those tiny bananas, 'Ninos'/children.

They also grind their beef extra fine so it really tastes great in an empanadilla, the finely ground carne mixes so much better with the other ingredients so you don't get a big glob of ground meat when you bite into one.

• Members

Of course,
real
croissants and brioche are made of butter... Mmm-mmm-mmm. It's a helluva lotta work to do this by hand. You have to refrigerate each butter layer for awhile so its layer stays more-or-less intact when you roll it out again...

Yes, I would think every European chef would have to do this over and over again, till he could do it in his sleep....

That's the mille feuille I used to make,.. we called each turning a Tour,.. fold ,fold,fold,... make 1 dent in it and in the fridge,.. second tour : fold,fold,fold,.. make a second dent in it,... untill you have three dents,...then it's ready.

• Members
I think I mentioned before, that in the Seventies. a McDonalds in Vermont near our cabin was the last holdout using beef tallow for their french fies,

McDonalds headquarters threatened to take away their franchise, The crusty Vermont customers were threatening another 'Boston Tea Party' like thing.

YEAH! that's what we use to make Fries,.. Belgium fat fries,.. not the McDonald's {censored}ty French Fries...

We make the fat Fries,... Fry them in Beef Lard - Fat - ,.....

Cover them with mayo,.. like They say in Pulp Fiction,...

Ossewit is What we use : Os means Ox,...Wit means White,... Large blocks of OxFat,... Yummie ;)

01ster03474.jpg

• Members
YEAH! that's what we use to make Fries,.. Belgium fat fries,.. not the McDonald's {censored}ty French Fries...

We make the fat Fries,... Fry them in Beef Lard - Fat - ,.....

Cover them with mayo,.. like They say in Pulp Fiction,...

Ossewit is What we use : Os means Ox,...Wit means White,... Large blocks of OxFat,... Yummie
;)

01ster03474.jpg

Yeah, my brother who lived in Amstelveen/Amsterdam area for about 12 years before he moved to Hawaii...his best friend (Taft) made his first trip abroad around 1982 to the Netherlands, he was a 'dyed in the wool' narrow minded American, who would never put anything but Catsup/ketchup on his fried potatoes,
His first taste of fries with Mayo....?

Fast forward to 2009...we are eating lunch in Waikiki, Me my 'braddah' and Taft,
Taft orders 'extra mayo' with his Burger Combo,
Waiter says, 'Wasn't there enough Mayo on your 'Burger?'

Taft says, ' Yeah, positively Dickhead... but I need more Mayo for my fukken FRIES'

another 'convert' and many more to come.

Archived