2-3 guitars into one amp?

schoolie1

• Members

Hi,

Any suggestions on a cheap way to plug 2-3 guitars into an amp with one input? I have some friends coming in from out of town to jam, but I only have one amp. (I know it's an amp forum question, but...you know)

Thanks!

Rob

• Members

Thanks for the replies! I do use a mixer/PA for gigs. I was hoping there was something low budget to use for messing around at home. Maybe I'll just buy a cheap 4-channel mixer. I was also concerned that the input level would be too high into the amp from the mixer, but I guess it's the same as an effects board's output.

• Members

Thanks for the replies! I do use a mixer/PA for gigs. I was hoping there was something low budget to use for messing around at home. Maybe I'll just buy a cheap 4-channel mixer. I was also concerned that the input level would be too high into the amp from the mixer, but I guess it's the same as an effects board's output.

Well, you want an instrument level signal going to the amp's guitar input, not a line level signal. So, you have a legitimate concern.

• Members

When I was a kid, we used to plug multiple guitars into our amps. Of course we used to plug guitars and vocal mikes into our amps too. The older Fenders and Ampegs and such have more than a single input per channel. May not be perfect but for an informal jam it would work.

• Members

what would happen if you used one of these?

Those are for an outgoing signal.

The problem you will run into is that the two guitars will interact if you run them into an amp that way. Turning down the volume on one guitar grounds them both and the other guitar gets quiet too...so they don't mix well.

Even with both guitars maxed out, the volumes won't be even because one will have a higher output than the other usually.

Also the results can be muddy due to inductance issues.

• Members

Yep, mini mixers are damn handy for all kinds of projects, I have three. Mutiple guitars going into one chanel "really" drag it down. (see guitarcapos post). Mutiple guitars going into a mm come out as one and at line level. Line level is no problem at all.

• Members

Yep, mini mixers are damn handy for all kinds of projects, I have three. Mutiple guitars going into one chanel "really" drag it down. (see guitarcapos post). Mutiple guitars going into a mm come out as one and at line level. Line level is no problem at all.

Isn't that a bit complicated? :confused:

Archived