Aftermarket footswitch

Lobsterbush

• Members

Anybody here buy an aftermarket footswitch for a peavey amp? I recently bought a classic 50 and couldn't be happier with the amp but one button on the footswitch quit working. Not a big deal cause I had another from a previous amp but I've had it for 8 years or so and fear it may go at anytime. These footswitches are nothing more than a plastic case with two buttons on it. I seen a couple different ones on ebay and was wondering if anyone had used one of those or know of another source for a good (preferably metal) footswitch.

• Members
  • Members

a switch is a switch. You can repair it yourself in probably 5 minutes if you know how to solder. It just opens/closes 2 circuits to ground the signals.

Correct but depending if its momentary or latching, you would need a different switch. Check which one first.

either way, get a good quality replacement. The majority of footswitches use crap ones that are either too noisy or too unreliable.

I just replaced a momentary switch with a pancake switch I made from a pcb momentary switch. You can google to see how. Provided you get the pressure right, these are good for a million cycles and are silent.

• Members

Correct but depending if its momentary or latching, you would need a different switch. Check which one first.

either way, get a good quality replacement. The majority of footswitches use crap ones that are either too noisy or too unreliable.

I just replaced a momentary switch with a pancake switch I made from a pcb momentary switch. You can google to see how. Provided you get the pressure right, these are good for a million cycles and are silent.

as it looks, it should be latching. Its for channel switching and reverb, and just grounds the power supplies for the channel switching Relay and the power for the Reverb

• Members

I could probably repair it with a new switch but I would rather try to find a quality, solid footswitch. It just seems silly to have a footswitch that is made of thin plastic hooked up to an amp that is built like a tank. And like I said originally I have another factory one that works fine.

• Members

i dont understand why peavey makes such {censored}ty switchs. would a metal housing even be much more expensive? i broke the one that came with my transtube, but i got one from the guy i bought my valve king from.

Seems like we're on the same page :thu:

It would be nice if they would at least offer one for a little more than the cheap plastic one.

• Members

Seems like we're on the same page
:thu:

It would be nice if they would at least offer one for a little more than the cheap plastic one.

it is just weird. everything else i have ever owned manufactured by peavey has been as solid as a tank, and absolutely bulletproof, but they dont make a switch that can handle the foot of a 215lb man?

• Members

it is just weird. everything else i have ever owned manufactured by peavey has been as solid as a tank, and absolutely bulletproof, but they dont make a switch that can handle the foot of a 215lb man?

My thoughts exactly.

I just signed up on the peavey forum and posted a question about the footswitches. Maybe between the two places I can find an answer. I will probably just end up buying one of those of EBAY unless someone else chimes in with an alternative.

• Members

My thoughts exactly.

I just signed up on the peavey forum and posted a question about the footswitches. Maybe between the two places I can find an answer. I will probably just end up buying one of those of EBAY unless someone else chimes in with an alternative.

i wouldnt feel bad about ordering a switch on ebay. what can they {censored} up?

if you are leary ask what brand of switch and jack they use.

if they cant answer that they dont need your business.

• Members

I could probably repair it with a new switch but I would rather try to find a quality, solid footswitch. It just seems silly to have a footswitch that is made of thin plastic hooked up to an amp that is built like a tank. And like I said originally I have another factory one that works fine.

even if you get a metal housing, the weak point will be the actual switch. Most manufacturers use no-name switches that will crap out quickly. This is a common complaint with Marshall as well.

If memory serves me, Carling make the only one that is reputed to be reliable over time.

http://http://www.amprepairparts.com/switches.htm

and no, I don't work for them.

• Members

I usually build my own, but I have a Classic 30 that I use a Vox AD30VT foot switch with. Works fine. My bet is most any two button foot witch will work for you. My Triumph 60 needed a six pin DIN footswitch, so I just built one for about half what it would have cost to buy it.

Archived